Starting out VEX EDR team tips

Hey guy my team is just starting out just wondering if anyone has any tips out there for teams starting off.

3 Likes

Well step 1 already complete, the vex forum is super helpful and is quick to respond to problems and is a great source for inspiration. Then there is just good build quality, I would recommend using nylock nuts where you can as they stay tight. Make sure to put a bearing flat EVERY time a shaft goes through metal. Always have shafts supported in at least 2 locations. Use rubber bands on lifts and anywhere else you need them. Seriously rubber bands are your best friend. You are going to make mistakes, don’t be afraid to take everything apart and start from scratch. Use sensors, learn basics for programming, especially functions and tasks. And overall, work together, take everyone’s input and don’t discard idea’s too fast. If you have never done vex before I would recommend focusing on one game element at the beginning of the season. Good luck.

4 Likes

Also watch reveal videos, they are extremely helpful when you are starting out in vex.

3 Likes

So this is not like technical advice, but depending on who is one your team try to find out what everyone is good at and focus your roles around that. For instance, if someone is struggling at driving make a switch. Don’t be afraid to experiment in order to find the perfect team synergy.

1 Like

don’t try and be a metta bot right off the bat if you don’t feel you can be good with it, make something your comfortable with then as the season goes improve on it

4 Likes

Also don’t make big changes constantly (especially right before a tournament). Don’t be afraid to make changes/fix things, just don’t constantly change stuff so your drivers and programmers can’t keep up.

1 Like

BEFORE YOU START, begin by planning out an effective strategy. Then, design a robot idea that best suits that purpose. Also, be mindful of building a strong robot. The worst thing to happen in a match is to have your robot fall apart. I see things like that a lot, including with our year one robot. The best thing to do for a first robot is to use a simple but strong design and to improve it as you go. Also, make sure you get plenty of time practicing driving on the field and apply your strategy. MAKE SURE YOU DOCUMENT EACH PART OF THE PROCESS IN A NOTEBOOK. The notebook is one of the most important parts. Not only do good notebooks help win awards at competitions, they also help organize your work and rationalize your thought process. Other than those things, I think a lot of the important points have been covered. As @James6555 said, the forums are a great place to find help and get support. Never hesitate to bring any problems here. Good luck this season!

3 Likes

Thank you good luck to you as well!

If you have several people on your team, designate a project manager. This person will work with the captain to make timelines, hold team members accountable for what they should be accomplishing, and make sure that everything is being documented properly in the design notebook.

On that note, print out the design award rubric, and use it as a guideline for what should be in the engineering design notebook. There is a lot of stuff at the beginning having to do with how the team decides on their initial design that many teams forget to document. The notebook is a very important part of most of the judged awards, so don’t forget about it.

2 Likes