Steel VS Aluminum | Which Is Stronger?

Just a general discussion to discuss the properties of Steel and Aluminum. Which is overall the best to use, based on pros and cons? Post your thoughts here! List the pros and cons like so:

Pros:
3. etc.

Cons
3. etc.

Which one do you think is better? Me personally, Aluminum. But I’ll leave it to the forum to list the pros and cons.

Aluminum
Op
Lighter
Less strong

Steel
HEAVY
Stronger

1 Like

Steel:

pros: stronk

cons: heft

Aluminum:

pros: stronk enough for most things
lighter

cons: cost

No contest.

3 Likes

Also something I did not mention was to label the winner below pros and cons

I mean, this topic really doesn’t need to exist. there is absolutely no contest, aluminum is superior. its a fraction of the weight, and if you build well you can make it just as strong as steel.

2 Likes

Not just as strong, but doesnt need to be stronger if you build right.

1 Like

I just wanted to hear people’s thoughts…

Agreed. Though it would be interesting to have a topic on how to help teams that are stuck with steel still have decent bots.

1 Like

as for that, it’s hard, but not impossible. building as light as possible is really important, only use structure where you need to, and never 5 wides. rubber bands are your best friends with steel lifts and mechanisms like that, in theory you should be able to completely counter gravity and the weight of the lift/mechanism itself.

I had one last yr, with cortex, first yr, and made it to worlds…
PM if u want pic

Yeah. And if you have partial steel and partial aluminum, use the steel for the base only. And use half cuts on lifts.

Also, traybots will probably be better for people stuck with steel. Because they’re generally slightly lighter than lift bots in my experience, and certainly lighter than dr4b trays.

2 Likes

some years steel isn’t that bad, like turning point, a steel bot could actually be really competitive, cause 4m drive is plenty to cart around a steel bot, and you really didn’t need to lift things, but this year is less friendly to steel, because you do need to lift things. even trays have a hard time if their made of steel. itz was the worst for steel bots tbh.

2 Likes

Agreed. The real solution the problem is buy aluminum.

2 Likes

a large stash of 2x35 aluminum c channels is so good to have.

also you can cut aluminum super easy, you don’t even need a hacksaw its great.

3 Likes

We used steel on our arms just because we ran out of aluminum. A single 35 hole steel C channel is only slightly heavier than two 35 hole Aluminum C channels but two Aluminum C channels have much more strength. So pretty much with steel, it’s heavier and less strong for the weight of equal aluminum.

2 Likes

steal is great in little bits my wall is made of steel my counterweight steal but everything else should be aluminum

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.