Stories

I know I am reviving this topic, but I not only have a good story, but I also want to continue hearing others’ stories. Here’s my story:

A couple years back at a competition, we needed to drill a hole in a piece on the robot. Is just so happened that the piece was right above the battery, but we needed the hole and our next match was coming up. The kids on the team said “It’ll miss the battery,” drilled the hole, and we played our match. When we returned to our pit after the match, someone noticed odd and asked, “Who spilled water in the robot?” Well it happened that we had drilled the hole in the battery, not noticed, played our match, and they now had a busted battery and sulfuric acid in our robot, and had no battery spill kit. We didn’t have a battery spill kit because, “Batteries never break open.” They ended up hiding the battery behind a potted plant for the remainder of the competition, and now we are much more careful with drilling in the robot.

9 Likes

During ITZ (I was in seventh grade at the time), our code corrupted at Worlds. We have no clue how, but we found out at midnight the night before the second day of competitions. The captain and I then spent 4 and a half hours rewriting the entire code, as we did not have a backup :slight_smile: We also had to work in the dark and silence, since the rest of the team was sleeping. We then learned to always have a backup lol.

5 Likes

be me
arrive at states
notice my school’s team managed to qualify this year (i’m on a private team)
look at qualification matches
notice i’m against them and the powerhouse team in our state
shrug it off and do a skills run
score a 74
head to qualification matches
win all of them. Powerhouse team is angry and school team’s mentor is in disbelief
rank #1 in quals
select a team that we worked with well with in an earlier qual
eliminate my school’s team in semi-finals
go up against my sister team in finals
loose round one
Sister team’s wheel breaks and they take a time out
they are unable to repair the bot in time and we take round two
They still haven’t fixed thier wheel but throw thier bot in for round 3
thier auton wipes out and crosses the auton line
driver control begins and i’m chillin. got a 9 stack up in the small zone and i’m working on the large zone with a minute left
large zone stack messes up, but i’m able to get two 8 stacks in there
look at time, 30 seconds left
small zone stack falls for no reason
notice that that stack might have cost us the game
get as many cubes in and stack
pull away right as the time stops
victory

9 Likes

4am
qualifier
Robot sucks because of last minute redesign
Notebook gets left out of bin
I notice the book on the way out
We learn that our programmer has to miss the event
I realize that I have the notebook, rubric, and a 2 1/2 hr drive
I spend 2 1/2 hrs writing in that thing like a death note
Get 11th because of luck and good driving
Get out first round of elims
Win a judges award for the notebook that had 7 pages of useful content that morning.

12 Likes

This was during early season Tower Takeover,

I compete on one of my school teams, but we brought all our supplies to someone’s house because there was some other stuff going on in school that needed to use our space. My team was still building at the time, but one of the others is finished on their first design and doing some code. Keep in mind that there’s only three of us there (two from my team and one from the other) and we’re all sitting on a couch building on a table.

The person from the other team decided to lie down a little bit, but accidentally kicked the controller off of the couch and it lands on the floor with the sticks held forward, which causes the robot to drive into her. I quickly dove under the table to pick the controller up, and everything was fine. The whole situation wasn’t really that bad, but it’s just a funny memory that we all share.

5 Likes

I have so many stories because this is my 6th year actually competing, and my 8th of just being with the team. But dang, my junior year (tower takeover season) was the most fun out of all my years. Colorado teams are pretty friendly with each other. (say someone’s v5 motor broke, we’d lend it to them until they could get a new one) but we were kinda just good friends with one another, regardless of team or school. So before matches, my teammates and I jokingly bounced (like we bent our knees and straightened them, the bounce wasn’t a jump) and everyone just… started doing it with us. Even the announcer and main referee were bouncing. Honestly, it’s still hilarious to look back at footage and see everyone being silly.

6 Likes

I think western PA has you beat. Our rivals were generous enough to loan us an entire brain after the USB port involuntarily removed itself when a necessary firmware update was released the day of the comp.

8 Likes

Tower Takeover was my first year and everyone else on my team was also new. Provincials were in a city about 4 hours away from our school. Since we were all new, we didn’t know that it was a good idea to save our code on a memory stick.
It so happened that the code on the laptop we had was saved in a school based drive, so we weren’t allowed access from outside the school zone. We didn’t find this out until we were setting up at the competition. The code we had on our robot at the time didn’t have the autonomous or driver control in the right competition templates, so it wouldn’t work with the switches.
We managed to get through inspection with the very basic code that comes with the brain and our mentor spent the entire time we were setting up trying to contact another teacher so they could give us access to our files. Eventually, we all had to go listen to the rules, which took place in another room, but our coach just kept trying to get our files. About halfway through the rules, he walked into the gym and gave us the thumbs up. The relief that followed was extreme.

7 Likes

This was during the only comp my team went to during Tower Takeover, which was in March.
So, my team had a pretty meh start to quals. We were 3-1 going into lunch, and life was good. Well, I was working through lunch on auton(that was cause for another funny story), and I was over by the practice field. I found a teal scrunchie on the ground, picked it up, and put it on my wrist. I meant to find it’s owner when I was done(I ended up doing it at the awards ceremony). So like, we had 4 more matches after lunch, and I was supposed to drive in all of them. I kept the scrunchie on my left wrist, and I turned up. With a defensive pushbot, we went 4-0 through the rest of quals. Granted, we always got paired with semi-decent traybots, but still. We then carried this momentum into alliance selection and got turned down by our top 3 picks, so I panic-picked one of my friends, who happened to have a basic clawbot. We got knocked out in semis, only for a team known only as ‘egg’ to win the comp with the #1 seed. The power of the scrunchie will never be forgotten.

4 Likes

i had a good day

the end

11 Likes

My tray snapped off in a match and flew into another robot causing the to miss a placement in the high tower. It was connected by rope so I got off with a warning. I ended up winning that match because of it.

6 Likes

My teammates during tower takeover thought it would be funny to put as many rubberbands on our tray bot for maximum flipping action. I forgot to wear safety glasses and I got hit full force next to my eye. I had a huge red streak that was scabbed up for weeks. I went home early and fortunately retained my eyesight. Out school is now really big on wearing safety glasses everywhere because of that.

5 Likes

“RandamRobotics hurt it’s self in the confusion!”

2 Likes

you dont need safety glasses my man you need a tank helment for that one. My team is all about hats and a tank helment took a fully banded tray a few times

4 Likes

This is why you don’t rubberband your tray unless absolutely necessary.

1 Like

This happened during practice with our FRC robots last year. The robot in red bumpers is the season’s robot, and the one in blue bumpers is the defense bot (for practicing under defense). Last year, I was the driver, so I drive the one with red bumpers. But I decided to try driving defense bot for a bit, and had the co-driver drive the main robot. Here’s what happened:

Also, I can’t forget to point out the 12 lb. robot battery in the bottom of the frame that was the victim of the incident (along with the wall).

7 Likes

In my 8th grade year (The shooting flag one), all but 1 of our 8th grade teams made slingshots. The 1 team made a flywheel, and it was STRONG. While it was being tested they aimed it at a metal cabinet, which dented on impact. The teachers then asked them to make slingshot shooters.

4 Likes

One time during practice I downloaded TI Connect CE to my computer and put Pokemon Red on my calculator. My friend asked me to download it to his too.

4 Likes

7th grade year, Turning Point. friends team’s driver was up against a rival school at states. other school driver shot ball at controller, which friend driver was holding dangerously close to their… Needless to say, controller broke from being shot, and friend driver was very unhappy.

4 Likes

In FRC 2019, I was co-driver, and during practice this happened:

Everything was fine, and we continued the match, but it was a cool moment. Also, my brother was the one driving the defense robot.

4 Likes