Stupidest thing you've done in VEX

When you go to state with a robot this is both out of dimensions as well as out of expansion limits.

ITZ

4 Likes

Believing a sister team when they said their DR4B (which I was conceptually involved in) was working great. Needless to say, we were throwing zip ties everywhere before inspection the next day trying to stop skipping due to poor(ish) build quality.
(How do you fix a dumb problem? With an even dumber solution!)

9 Likes

Had battery problems and would only plug in batteries just before matches. Needless to say, we entered several matches confused as to why our robot wasn’t working (we didn’t plug the batteries in).
We had a good laugh at it though XD

2 Likes

Last year I tried to put axles on without an bearing blocks.

5 Likes

when i started vrc i didnt know how 2 tighten nylock and thought it was useless so my partner tried to drill through it to make spacers out of them and almost started a fire in my bacement

10 Likes

Driving a steel bot on a low friction surface, and using that to gauge the robot’s abilities.

5 Likes

This was at state. It was my first robotics competition because I was too busy during past robotics competitions to go. anyway the guy who greets everyone before competition starts asked in joking manner that I did not pick up if this was anyone’s first competition this year. well being the idiot I am I raised my hand and the whole crowd all turned to me like he has to be joking

2 Likes

Impaled a drive shaft into my hand.

2 Likes

Someone on my team melted through a pair of safety glasses with the sparks from a Dremel.

3 Likes

We filed down a driveshaft then smacked to files together causing sparks. Big brain time

2 Likes

i wore a pickle rick costume to a competition for no reason

3 Likes

We were named The Titans. We wore a safari hat and a grey shirt and jeans.

Some of my teammates were wrestling at night during an oversea competition

2 Likes

My first attempt at a build was a DR4B… Needless to say, it wasn’t pretty xD

5 Likes

We tried to build an all steel DR4B our first year in vex. The stripping gears sounded like a fork in the garbage disposal.

10 Likes

with a cat in it too

2 Likes

I’ve done a full steel DR4B. Except I made it work. It was ludicrously slow for a DR4B, but I made it work. While it was admittedly awful, I’m still glad I did it so that I had experience when I went to build other DR4Bs later on.

1 Like

Ours (@4810N) did work… but it sounded like sticking 8000 paperclips in a blender. A week ago I managed to get a nut on the screw backwards, and we also bought a bunch of field tiles that ended up 6 inches short of 12’x12’, which resulted in us spending a bunch of time fixing it and cutting tiles. Its great.

2 Likes

No bearings, and a 12t plastic instead of metal… on our puncher…

1 Like

Building a dr4b which used 35 hole long arms. I bent all the axles in it, which made me mega sad as I had to trash all 8 axles :frowning:

1 Like