Super new user!

Hello! I’m new to the forums and have a few questions! i recently got a vex cortex starter pack (the one with the protobot) and i am having some problems. Not with the robot its works fine but with the programing…
I have EASY C V4 for cortex im completely new so I started with the tutorials. when i built my first program and plugged in the protobot with the usb to usb cableall goes fine, but i then build and download the program witch goes fine untill i get a message that says “failed to get system info trying to get info with cable unplugged” am i doing something wrong? Or does my computer not recognize my robot? its pretty old so.

ill be happy to provide more info if necessary.
any help would be great.
thanks,
Robin.

First if you have not already done so, make sure you are using the latest version of EacyC V4 by going to the help menu and checking for updates. The current version is [FONT=Calibri]4.0.2.8[/FONT][FONT=Calibri] . [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Depending on your operating system, make sure you have the proper driver loaded for your programming cable. http://www.vexrobotics.com/276-2186.html this link provides access to both drivers.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
You will then want to run the IFI[FONT=Calibri] VEXNet firmware upgrade utility. Instructions can be found in the EasyC help menu. Just realize that it is a separate utility not part of EasyC. You run it separately by going to the EasyC V4 program group and looking for the executable.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Make sure you run the utility and update the firmware on both the joystick and the Cortex. The current correct version for both the cortex and the joystick is 3.16.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]You should probably go through the joystick calibration procedure after you complete the upgrade, but it is not necessary to establish communication.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]At this point you can use your USB A-A cable for downloading default code or your user code and see if the problem is fixed. Hopefully you should be able to get VEX System info pulled up under the download window.
[/FONT]

Minor point but the correct version for 4.0.2.8 is 3.17, this is included with EasyC.

We hear that a new version of EasyC is but days away so plan on another update soon.

Thanks for the update on my update.