Tank Drive: Now Outdated!

Who needs the tank drive when you can have the accelerometer drive.

http://youtu.be/MGGu1QSfdYw

What do you think??

[Side note: This only works with the A to A cable for Robot C]

Woah awesomeness! It would be sick if you guys did this for mecanum wheels :smiley:

Pretty cool, but isn’t that a bit unnecessarily complicated? Tank drive is easier to set up, and easier to operate.

But tank drive isn’t as cool! :stuck_out_tongue:

It may be cool, but can a relativity inexperienced programmer accomplish it with out copying your code?

I think it might be counter productive if it’s pure Accelerometer drive. While driving, unseen things such as tipping, battling, and entanglement might trigger a driver’s reflex causing even more problems. Plus you have to go out of the way to install sensors.

Competition-wise i think it’s unreliable, but its definitely cool for a demo bot.

Why do you need the A to A cable? I’ve made accelerometer controlled systems in RobotC using the USB Keys and they work fine!

Also, I prefer arcade drive to tank. Putting the drive control in one joystick and arm control in another just seems simpler to me

but… but… that’s just arcade drive with the joystick disguised as a controller…

Drivers really wig out on the field… I wouldn’t trust them to hold it steady.

While this is interesting and makes a good science project, the novelty of the system is nothing compared to the simplicity of the joystick when properly used.

I have created this code in easyC. It is relatively simple, but difficult to drive.

I prefer Tank Drive. It is simple to use, and fun :smiley:

I think this would be way to complicated. I see people getting hurt with this kind of drive :stuck_out_tongue:

sweet “add-on” done by vex
but will never be as precise as the joystick

btw who else thought that this was going to be another “evolutionary drive train” thread when they read the title? :stuck_out_tongue:

me. :stuck_out_tongue: I was suprised to see it meant “tank drive” as in the method of control, rather than “tank drive” as in two sets of wheels, one on the left and one on the right :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, I like this way of controlling the robot, but I don’t think it is very practical for competition, with the same reasons that have already been mentioned. It’s still really cool though and it would be great for showing people when explaining about VEX etc. :slight_smile:

~George

I’ll admit, I was expecting something to replace tank treads as well.

Guys. I don’t think the OP has any intention of using this in real competition. It’s just cool for the sake of cool. Let’s appreciate that.
:cool:

Take a gander at this…

accelerometer driving is cool and easy to code but its not a good practical idea for competition