Tape for use on Anti-Static Field Pads

My kids and I are trying to figure out what kind of tape we are allowed to use on the anti-static foam pads for marking the game lines. Couldn’t seem to find the right way to research the question to find the answer. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

You can use 3/4 white electrical tape.

4 Likes

The place to look for “are we allowed” questions is the game manual and it’s appendixes. Assuming you have read the game manual, and it’s appendices, you will find that no specific tape is identified in Appendix A of the game manual. When you buy a set of field elements, you usually get a roll or two of 3/4" wide 3M brand electrical tape. Our organization (we host several events each year) buys our tape in bulk from tapejungle.com

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I tried doing, and when I couldn’t find any mention of the tape I figured I’d come here. I appreciate the help, and since we plan on starting to host events I will likely buy some bulk myself.

1 Like

Yea, if something is “required”, the manual is really specific. If there is no requirement, then then the manual won’t say anything, and your good to do whatever you want (within the limits of common sense, of course).

If you’re doing events, you might want to get some gaffer’s tape, too. Gaffer’s tape doesn’t leave residue on the floors (or tarps, if you have to tarp the floors to protect them). We buy “standard grade” 2-inch wide gaffer’s tape, in red, blue, and “surprise me.” Red and blue are for marking driver’s stations, and “surprise me” saves 10% for taping down wires to the floor and for taping tarp-edges down so nobody trips on loose tarps.

4 Likes

I figured it wasn’t “required” as much as keeping in mind what the material was and making sure that it didn’t ruin the foam pads. That’s particularly what made the question harder to find the answer for. But I really appreciate the advice about the Gaffer’s tape; totally gonna use that.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the field tiles will eventually be damaged by the tape. But they’ll also slowly be damaged by robots and use, too. We typically maintain four competition fields in our “event trailer” and keep a practice field in our workspace, so over time the practice field ends up with the worst tiles, while we slowly replace damaged tiles from our “spare” set of new tiles, and put the damaged tiles on the practice field. This year, everything is still new, so we don’t know yet if the new anti-static tiles are more- or less-easily damaged by the tape.

3 Likes

Oooooooooh. That makes sense. This is all really good information to know as my kids and I move forward. Our tiles are pretty much brand new (March w/ minimal driving) so I’ll let the kids know to keep this in mind.

So with the Anti-Static tiles, is Staticide not needed? I have my building coach get us a bottle because I thought we did.

1 Like

The need for anti-static spray will be hotly debated…and I think is mostly dependent on your local climate and HVAC. We don’t have problems in our corner of Michigan, so we have stopped using it with the new tiles, but we used it regularly with the old (this might change if we ever encounter static). The best price of anti static spray that we’ve found is zoro.com We bought half a dozen spray bottles, and refill them from gallon-sized refills.

2 Likes

Off-topic, but: that might be the best name for a specialty online retailer I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

We got one bottle for a really good price, and knowing that you’re up in Michigan makes me feel like we won’t need it as much, considering we are on Northeast Indiana. Thank you for help.

Also, yes for tapejungle.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.