Team name length limit

How big is the limit to how long your team name can be? I was scrolling through the skills scores for my state when I found this.

I don’t even know what to think of this. I wonder if an announcer has had to say their full name before.

28 Likes

I saw that too, made me laugh. I doubt the announcer would say it all, but I really appreciate them if they do.

6 Likes

They almost never say the full name (it happened once), and what is amazing is that the skills score doesn’t even show the full name. I am unaware of any character limit, but many of the mentors really don’t like that team name because it messes with everything when planning.

2 Likes

Between them and 1696Z “X Æ A-12” Arizona teams sure do like to push the limits of what you can put in the name field.

7 Likes

And 43141A Ellen DeGeneres

1 Like

Surprised no one has gone the XKCD “Bobby Tables” route yet…

28 Likes

Don’t give them ideas, there’s a nonzero chance there’s a string that’ll break Tournament Manager somehow…

15 Likes

100% chance that will break tournament manager
along with looking at it the wrong way or tripping on the cord

2 Likes

Did it a couple years ago: VEXU Team : SQL : Robot Events

(and yes, I did verify that putting an SQL injection in the team name wouldn’t break TM before we registered the team)

We even went as far as opening a TM database file in an SQL viewer, so that we could use one of the actual table names – the team was originally going to be called Team'); DROP TABLE elim_bracket_data;-- but that was too long to fit in TM’s “match intro” screen without cutting off the name.

8 Likes

New post states project has been found

1 Like

That’s a full light novel title right there

2 Likes

the full name is “Now Introducing, for 3 Times the Victims to the Sand Dunes, for 5 Consecutive Years the Goons of Anarchy, and the Official Amateur Toilet Repairmen of Buckeye, Arizona: Anthropomorphic Stockcar, the Team also Known as Black Tie Gorilla, and Better Known In Europe as Einstein Eating a Banana”

15 Likes

Update: As of the Arizona HS state championships they changed their name to “We Broke the Team Name Software”

14 Likes

And I believe vex added a 50 character limit because of them

7 Likes

I’m now really tempted to name my private team next year “The pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosises” which is exactly 50 characters long.

10 Likes

When did they add the limit?

not sure, but that is what they told me was their reason for changing their name

4 Likes