Team Organization Suggestions

Last year, me and my friend founded a high school VRC team. We currently have about 60 members across 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade and are expecting to increase that in coming years. Although we have operated as a two-woman president team for the past two years, we are graduating, and it is time to hand off the club to younger members. I was wondering if anyone had tips on officer organization for larger clubs, like the positions we should have and how to avoid confusion/overlap. Thank you!

3 Likes

I am in a similar boat, however I am the ‘2nd’ generation. Our previous seniors basically allowed us as sophomores to take more responsibility within the team as a whole until we were able to run the team without them. It was on a MUCH smaller scale, but you could take a few people under your wing and allow them to ‘lead’ as you supervise. As a senior now, I am trying to teach some students to do the same.

Do you have defined officer roles in your club or just a general leadership board? If you do have officer roles, what are they?

We don’t have official leaders, but when I started, it was always the 2-4 older kids who took charge. We always try to give everyone equal participation and oppurtunity, but if it makes a lot of sense for having a select few to have an official role then they would include

1. deciding a robot design
  2. allocating jobs to people (1 person makes intakes, 2 does drive train, drivers programmers builders etc.)
  3. looking at tournaments and choosing the most optimal for the team
  4. keeping the team on track in terms of building and organization (VERY IMPORTANT)
  5. making sure programmers are communicating with builders and drivers

These are the sort of things I am doing now along with the my other team leader. If you have a lot of students per team, defining roles clearly helps a ton. Our first year we had 8 on a team and we specialized in certain areas.

2 Likes

I too am in the same situation. The seniors are leaving g this year and I will be leader starting next year for the next two years.

What I’m thinking is that for the first year, important positions will be handpicked by the club leaders, with voting for the less important ones. That’s how we’re doing it, especially since we dont really have any experienced members

2 Likes

So neither of your clubs have general officer roles like Treasurer, President, Secretary? I was planning to implement these for general club leadership since we have four competing teams and I feel the club needs overall leadership as well as leadership within each team. The jobs you mentioned were super interesting though! I’m definitely going to implement them somehow!

1 Like

My school’s robotics club consists of four teams and four officer positions (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary). Each officer generally does:

President - overseeing the club as a whole, spend a reasonable amount of time with all teams by identifying any needs and mentoring when needed (though they may not make a decision for someone else). As such, we have a rule that whoever is President can not be a team captain.

Vice President - A new position we recently added, generally is responsible for managing our inventory and spends time with teams offering advice and such

Treasurer - Manages finances, coordinates with our club sponsor to maintain updated records

Secretary - Maintains meeting notes between officers and captains, as well as our club website. Although not an official job, the past two secretaries in our club have also set up and managed the club’s git repositories

Our club has hosted a VRC tournament every year for the past few years, and each officer generally has a role in planning and running said tournament.

In my opinion, I would recommend three officer positions (President/Treasurer/Secretary) unless you can find a real need to have a Vice President or a fourth officer position. I would also recommend trying to minimizing team sizes as much as possible.

Although large team sizes can work, it’s much easier to work in small teams as everyone will generally know what is going on with the robot. Adding on to what @JairMeza20 has said, if large team sizes are unavoidable then defining roles/specialization and communication will be very important within teams.

1 Like

I would suggest picking out the younger kids you think really care about the program, know what they’re doing, can handle 60 kids, and would mesh well together. I’d interview a couple of them and pick the best 2, keeping the current governmental system.

1 Like

Remember that the chosing to have defined president’s or officers or whatever is dependant on your situation. My school had only 12-16 kids, so we divided them into 4 teams of ~4 which doesn’t really require a leader per se. We all lead in our own respects.