Team Selection

So our club creates new teams each year and around this time we begin team selection. we are a club of around 30 kids and usually have 5 to 6 teams. I was just wondering if there were any ideas of how we as a club should form a fair team selection by allowing everyone to be on a team but, still staying socially distant from each other. How are other schools and robotics clubs forming teams? A lot of what we do for team selection is negotiating but, I have really been struggling with how to best do that with 30 kids that can’t all be in the same room.

3 Likes

So schools have been using zoom video meeting for classes, maybe you can do the same?

2 Likes

Yeah I just think that will be hard with so many people

Maybe a discord server then. All text based. That might allow for better communication. Also talking to people individually might be necessary.

1 Like

Yeah, there will definitely be a need to talk directly but, the discord server could work thanks

1 Like

Our teams do the exact same thing every year. A couple weeks ago, a spreadsheet was sent out to members of our program asking when to schedule each student’s meeting. The coaches meet with each student individually and discuss who they would like to be on a team with, and what area of robotics they think they will excel in. Normally, this meeting is done at our school, but this year it’s done with a zoom link. The coaches take everyone’s opinion into consideration and then assign teams. Anyways that’s one way to do it.

2 Likes

But do the coaches form your teams or do the students ultimately choose

In my organization, teams are 100% student chosen.

3 Likes

@jas the coaches make the teams, but with influence

1 Like

It depends on what the coaches want to do, my coach never deals with team selection and only steps in when there’s an extra person who doesn’t have a team and needs one

Does the club do the team selection for you or do you pick who’s on your team?

At our school, the students have complete control over their team selection. Usually what happens is 2 or 3 people can’t find a team and then the coaches create a new team for them and everyone else that joins that can’t join one of the other teams joins that one. Vex is student-oriented so choosing who your teammates are should be as well.

1 Like

My organization has four or five teams. We pretty much keep the same teams from year to year (with the exception of students that graduate or transfer). When deciding teams, students write down who they want to be on their team on a notecard. (Most teams already work out who they want to be on their team beforehand and all turn in identical notecards) It has to include all of the core parts of a team. These notecards are then given to our coaches and they finalize teams. They usually consult team captains before finalizing each team. For the most part our coaches don’t have to change the student-created teams.
I really like this system because it gives each student a say in who they want on their teams while staying anonymous. It also allows the coaches to have control of the situation while remaining student-centered.

5 Likes

we try to be student chosen but, if they want to be in club they get on a team so there is some compromise there

For our team selection, we have to fill out a members application if we would like to return. After that. We use another form to communicate to our coach who we work well with and who we don’t. Our coach then crafts the teams and we choose our team name or number. Or we just keep it. Lol
We use Webex for meetings all the time. And we decide things and work to keep engaged.
Do you have anymore questions?

1 Like

Last I heard, for my school, students are planning on figuring it out over private messages (discord, text, etc) for the most part and our coach will be emailing us all about it after the game reveal so we can all figure out a set plan and she can make any suggestions/rearrangements that need to be done.

1 Like