Team YNOT Early Season Reveal

the balls, while still light, weight a lot more than tp balls did, and are a lot larger. we saw more than 1 motor getting using on many launchers in tp, so I think 2m on your indexer/launcher this season is going to improve your cycle time better than using that motor elsewhere is.
but perhaps not, might take some experimentation. You can still have another gadget if you ratchet a trapdoor off of your launcher.

1 Like

Turning point also needed the balls to launch actually fast. 1m worth of power should be plenty for this application if you build it right.

On that note, however, I’d say that 2m is ok if you rachet off both motors since that whole mech should only need to move in one direction.

4 Likes

I am pretty interested in either doing a hood that is motorized or a ratcheted indexer so I can have a trapdoor with a normal hood. Do you guys think that the trapdoor will be meta or will stay/be an obscure and unused feature?

I think that the indexer/flywheel should be two motors, not necessarily for the extra power, but for the consistency. If you have an intake which constantly runs and a one motor indexer which brings balls up the robot and out of it, you won’t have much control over when a ball will actually be outtaked. The snailbot used xRC sim which I having been playing a lot recently is like this, and it is a pain to manage the indexer and intakes. The best setup in my opinion would be a normal intake, one motor indexer, and one motor outtake/flywheel. This way, the indexer will be constantly running, the intake will run when you need it to, and you can run the outtake whenever you need to outtake. Because the indexer is constantly running, the balls will always be at the highest point in the system, with no risk of rolling out when you run the intakes in reverse. Because the balls will always be in the same position in the indexer, autonomous will have less errors while outtaking, and driving will be easier.

No one has built a functional trapdoor on a snailbot yet, but I still think it would be a useful mechanism. Again, from playing xRC sim, I can say that it is confusing to have to deal with other colored balls, especially when they are lined up in a weird pattern in your indexer. Having some automatic system which just spits them out the back will increase efficiency and reduce chance for driver error.

4 Likes

that’s one good looking robot

nice work!

2 Likes

I think they will be important but my new 3D printer hasn’t got here yet so I cant print the one I have designed. Its bigger than my current printer

Maybe but in TP you had to launch those balls with far more force. Right now it appears that we only need to barely launch it. I think a well tuned one motor indexer would do the trick.

8 Likes

While I agree with you that its quite easy to launch the balls, it would be harder to control them in your robot with only 1 motor.

4 Likes

True, and in VEXU, there’s really no reason not to go with two motors, but in VRC that extra motor can be pretty useful.

1 Like

It can be useful to save a motor there, but I still think that having a consistent indexer and outtaker is the most important aspect for scoring. In this game, your driver needs to be very fast and very consistent to outcycle the opponents. Struggling with a one motor indexer / outtaker significantly slows you down and makes it much harder to be consistent.

2 Likes

I think that if you’re going to take a motor from somewhere the intakes are a better place. they only need to handle one ball at a time, 2 motors is way overkill. but powering flipout intakes with only one motor isn’t going to be easy.

4 Likes

Powering a single motor intake design that can still pull from the scoring zones will be pretty challenging and probably add extra friction to it, considering the balls don’t come out easily I think two motors is needed for the bottom intakes.

Agreed, and with proper build quality and a well tuned mechanism, one motor can work pretty well. Just think of the limits that people have pushed before, there’s not that much strain on these mechanisms. It would be more challenging, but could be worth it in the long run.

even if you can take a motor from your indexer/launcher I don’t think it’s worth it. I can’t think of anything else to use that motor on that would be worth the added challenge to the launching mechanism.

I think you’re missing my point, it’s not about the motors not having enough power to push the balls up and out, I think one motor can very easily do that, it’s the actual system and its controls. Having an outtaker which is independent from the indexer lets you push the balls to the farthest point in the indexer. With only one motor, you have to do both functions, indexing and outtaking, at once.

2 Likes

Oh, okay. I think we’re saying the same thing. I think of the bottom section of the intake that pulls out of the goal, and the top part that spits out as two separate mechanisms.

Mostly. To clarify, there are three subsystems which move the balls through the bot:

• Intake: uses some specialized rollers to pick up balls from the ground or from goals and carry them to the start of the indexer.

• Indexer: Takes up all of the space where balls are stored in the robot. makes sure that balls are moving through the system and are pressing against the outtaker.

• Outtaker: Launch the balls out of the robot and into goals from the top. It is constantly fed by the indexer.

When you use 2 motors for the intake, and one motor for the indexer and outtaker, you lose some functionality like being able to constantly run the indexer.

8 Likes

Okay, I see.
I feel like there should be a way to do this without wasting a motor. Maybe using a Ultrasonic range sensor so it can sense when the ball gets to certain position it keeps it from spitting out. Using a motor strictly for the indexer seems like a waste to me. A macro of some sort could be good enough to allow you to save that motor.

2 Likes

That’s what our plan is. The big worry for us with that though is compression. We have to make sure that the rotation point of the roller is directly in line with the axle that connects the two intakes. That will be the difficult part.

I participated in the xRC simulator competition for this game, and I can say that no one had the time to descore more than one of the opponents balls at a time. You need to move around the field incredibly fast, and you are constantly scoring and descoring. A simple outtake on your rollers is probably going to do the job well if you want to keep your robot simple.

3 Likes

I have (luckily) gotten my hands on enough parts to build a robot, and I can say that one motor will overheat incredibly quickly (like I don’t even know if it will be able to make it through one match).

1 Like