Those California sportsmanship teams really got spots?

It depends on the size of your region, we have over 1000 teams here in California, so…

@wesleywong i’m well aware of that, i’m just saying that it is sad because we live in an area with little teams so we dont get many shots to worlds.

I thought Puerto Rico has more than 1 spot?

@wesleywong Puerto Rico has 5 HS spots, but they separated the HS division in two, and we competed in the division that only had 1 spot. We went 8-1 and finished as 1st seeded team, and won the championship, but the excellence award went to the 4th ranked team that lost against us.

On the distribution of spots to large regions/states, the one that my team is in, Soither New England, has about 18 spots, where worlds qualification was given to semi finalists and above, design, excellence, and then the top skills scores. I think California should have its regional competition worlds spots out like this since it rewards good skills scores, which usually represent a good robot. Giving worlds spots to sportsmanship winners allows some new teams into worlds, but that does not allow a better robot to get in.

I don’t understand. Were you assigned to this worse division? Why are there two divisions in a small region? Why don’t the winners of the two divisions play each other to determine who goes?

@Aponthis We were assigned to this division because we didn’t won a regional championship. According to PRIOR, to qualify for HS Pro division a team had to win a trophy, or make 32+ in skills(which we did, but i don’t know why they didn’t count it to put us in the other division).

@Team_2297A It looks like every qualifying competition in your region has 2 divisions, a rookie division and a pro division. Since you qualified for regionals by competing in a rookie competition, you were placed in the rookie regional.

@Michael Nutt We competed in the regionals with the advance teams.

It needs to be at states…

It was at State, it was just Volunteer of the year.

Totally agree. More transparency from the RECF about the qualification process would be greatly appreciated!

Yes

I’m not sure about this, but I heard that new teams count for a much larger fraction of a spot than returning teams. California had a huge number of new teams this year and as a result, we got a ton more spots.

They have to do it based on size of region because the competetiveness of a region changes each year. For example, arizona is 10x times more competetive this year than last year, but the number of worlds spots is the same.

IIRC we had 11 last year and only 8 this year.

We had 9 last year as we got a bonus programming skills spot. This year we did not receive the bonus spot thus 8 teams qualified

Ah, the 11 I remember probably included the MS teams.

I’m just disappointed that no RECF administrator (or someone who works at RECF) is putting input into this discussion. They should explain their decision to us more clearly. Unless Jordan is an RECF employee.

Well, I imagine they’re very busy right now. Of course, this is exactly the time that having some insight from an official RECF person would be of much interest. It might not seem as important to all of us in a couple of months, around the time when they will be recovering from Worlds.

My guess is you might get some feedback from a well-formulated and concise question in the official Starstruck Q & A.