Thoughts about the new forum?

And I thought I had discovered all the hidden gems in esoTalk…

Seriously, though, I had no idea esoTalk implemented something that sophisticated.

1 Like

Oh, and thanks for not taking 8 weeks to ship the new forum, DRow!

0 Likes

No. It only took 32 LONG EXCRUCIATING HOURS. I can not overstate how long that transition period felt.

0 Likes

I think @Brandon_Martus is actually primarily responsible for that unthinkable feat.

Now, if only V5 could be fixed with a mere script and two days’ time…

0 Likes

Big team effort on this one.

Chief Delphi took like a week. This was quick! :grin:

5 Likes

This looks good! It’ll take some getting used to but it seems better overall. Dark theme ftw!

0 Likes

I like it, except after I finished with the welcome bot ( @discobot ) it said I deserved something, then promptly left me a big empty post with a broken image link picture.

0 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

0 Likes

You earned a badge. You can see that you earned it in your notifications feed (click on your avatar in the top right) or on your user Badges page.

0 Likes

i really dont understand discobot

0 Likes

I’m also super excited that there’s real markdown support now. Bbcode was ok, but had its limitations. Can we specify syntax highlighting for code blocks now? :thinking:

#define True (1)
#define is {
#define loop {
#define end }
#define print(str) std::cout << str << std::endl;

int main() is
    while True loop
        print("is this python?")
    end
end

edit: looks like yes! :smile:

0 Likes

One good thing, One bad thing. First I love the dark theme, but I want my signature back. Vex did this all to get rid of signatures, so they could keep their precious best of 1.

2 Likes

I miss my Signature too.

0 Likes

OP’s should now be able to mark posts as “Answered”, just like on esoTalk. Just click on the “More Options” button for the particular post, and select the button.

You’ll also notice the tiny squares underneath thread titles in the main portal view. I’ve edited the colors of these to help differentiate threads between VEX EDR & VEX IQ. Some will be a solid color, while others will be split in half. The ones that are split in half are simply placed into a sub-category.

EDR threads will either be fully red, or the left half of the square will be red.
IQ threads will either be fully blue, or the left half of the square will be blue.

4 Likes

Dual post?

Yes, the signatures were great. They can introduce you as a credible source by recognition for users who don’t actually know your username. Also, there were campaigns like @Anomaly ‘s “Bring Back BO3” tag that dominated some threads. Then there were also things like meme campaigns (DRow for GDC, etc.), but I personally liked the signatures.

Is there any way to bring those back? (I’d assume it would have already been done of possible, but just asking.)

2 Likes

Also, if anyone is feeling really nostalgic about the old forum already, (I know I am) the light mode brings an air of familiarity, despite the different interfaces.
I’m using the light mode now, trying to decide if the nostalgia outweighs the sleeker Dark Mode.
#ComeToTheLightSide

Edit: Is there any way to allow hashtags? This might help in searchibility, so long as they aren’t overused as they might be on traditional social media.

0 Likes

You should be able to tag posts (in addition to putting them in a category).

(Yay, post 100!) edit: no it’s not :cry:

0 Likes

Yes, but I mean in the sense of #allowHashtags in responses.

Edit: Yay! 100th post!

2 Likes

"I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the Dark Mode as you do. I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to DRow’s new empire.”

2 Likes

Screenshot_2019-02-13-16-38-36 there’s a whole page of this when on mobile before the actual content which is a little annoying.

0 Likes