Thoughts on teaming up with descoring bot

Hey after a few competitions and talking to someone in vex U, I have been thinking about the practicality of making an alliance with a descoring bot for competitions. My team has only been teamed with a descoring bot a couple of times but it seems to work well (when we went against 580x we were teamed with a descoring bot and we lost 5 to 10 but that was when our bot did not function well and they are ranked 1# in our state). I also talked to someone in VexU and they highly recommended teaming with descoring bots for tournaments because if it is made well enough with an efficient driver it can descore faster than almost every bot can score. I believe that if a team with a functional and efficient snail bot teams with a descoring bot that can remove 75% of the balls scored then the team with a descoring bot would almost always win unless going up against a team with a similar strategy. This is all just theoretical though and I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

1 Like

My opinion on this topic is that a good snail bot will always be better than a bot that can just descore, just look at 2011D (I think that’s the number). Our strategy, which has worked pretty well for us, is we just cycle balls. We do this because rather than a team topping off a ball, they have to cycle, which is usually slower. That is just my opinion though.

3 Likes

I 100% agree with the fact that a snail bot is better than a descoring bot. I think that a descoring bot may be a more helpful teammate because they become a large problem for the enemy alliance if you have a good enough snail bot. (To be honest descoring bots are kinda op teammates with how simple they are)

1 Like

I was paired against a very good descorer bot in our last tournament. We were 14th seed, against their first seed. We lost by one point, because we just started descoring everything, copying their strategy.

2 Likes

That’s great… snail bots that are just as fast as descoring bots are probably something to consider teaming with especially when they focus on descoring when the other alliance is ahead.

it depends on a lot of things. if you are really fast, and the descoring bot is actually really good, than this can be a super effective alliance. But seeing as you probably aren’t going to be the fastest robot at every event you attend and good descoring/pushbots are not very common, chances are you’d end up having better results just choosing as competitive a hoodbot as you can.

3 Likes

You are most likely correct in this case. I have not seen many good descoring bots in a competition (and it is even more uncommon if you include a good driver). I am more specifically thinking of teaming up with a descoring bot that has a large amount of speed and a good intake (such a a roller or conveyer intake). When I was watching some vexu competitions I saw that a descoring bot with a 6 motor drive and extremely good intakes was able to descore a tower about 1.7x faster than any other bot on the field could score. You were right to mention that the speed of the snail bot teamed with the descore bot would also depend on their speed. In my opinion the biggest problems would be going up against a team with the same strategy and how rare those bots are. All in all you brought up good points and hopefully there will be some good descoring bots at states (idk how hard it would be for a descoring bot to make states).

2 Likes