Tipping Point - 3D Printable Ring

I modified the ring CAD file so that it can easily be 3D printed on an FDM printer by printing two solid, halved sections of the ring and then supergluing them together. This was an absolute pain for some unnecessary reason (thanks to SolidWorks). Anyway, I uploaded the files on Thingiverse so that you all can 3D print one before you get the actual thing in hand. I hope this is helpful and if you have any issues with the STL files or want some more variations, please let me know.

20 Likes

Thanks so much!
20 char

2 Likes

Where is the cad file for the whole field you mention on the thingiverse page? I looked around a bit but I can’t find it…

https://www.vexrobotics.com/v5/competition/vrc-current-game

There is a link to the full field model below the Appendix A button

9 Likes

Thank you! It might just be me or is there only one half of the ring? Also is it possible to add this solid ring for those who want an easier and stronger single body print. I just did a sweep in fusion 360 to fill it.https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4867436

I took the ring, cut it in half directly at the midpoint, and made it solid so that it could be printed face down easily on an FDM printer. If you print two of them and turn one 90 degrees and sandwich them together you get one full ring. If I am mistaken, and that doesn’t actually work, then let me know and I can add in the two halves. I will also add the solid ring.

5 Likes

Oh that’s very clever! It wasn’t making sense until I did it in fusion 360. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the files! I printed one with my iffy AnyCubic within 3.5 hrs and glued them together. (Pen for size reference) Came out great! Thank you! image

10 Likes

Thank you! We attempted to print whole with supports. Not considering the waste of material (raft+supports) and time (took 4 hours for one) it worked. Printed 3 as we were curious about how these stack and if they auto-stack neatly like pringles do. Hard to tell because our prints came out rough (supports) and there is a lot of friction. Assuming the injected ones will be smooth and slippery. Also, for all the math gurus: what do you call the ringle shape. It’s a torus in a hyperbolic space so… hyperbolic torus? Thoughts?
20210524_110150_800

3 Likes

Just finished printing!:
IMG_20210524_070940
Thanks again for the file!

5 Likes

I would call it a hollow hyperbolic paraboloid

I’m sorry.

3 Likes

20210526_185011

Printed out a ringle to play with before our official ones come. Thank you!

8 Likes

Do you print it at 100% infill?

I haven’t printed one of these but it’s very rarely necessary to print things at 100% infill, especially for parts like this ring that won’t experience significant forces.

15-20% infill is generally where I start for non-load-bearing parts like this. You could probably go lower (say, ~10%) if your printer is up to it.

2 Likes

I was able to print it at 5% infill for the halved one, which made it very close to the actual weight of the ringles. It is still very sturdy.

2 Likes

5% infill also worked well for me. The end result after putting them together was 36g, compared to the 35.5g actual weight. Still seemed sturdy enough for a robot to handle, and I imagine it’ll be similar to the actual product.

1 Like

If you want to print these fast I was able to print them standing with supports only on the bottom with 0% infill. On my printer that takes about 5 and a half hours but depending on your print speed and layer height it will likely be much faster as my layer height is .1 mm