Tips for auton without sensors

So I am currently in the process of making a new prog skills and I don’t have sensors. Any tips?

You will HAVE TO make all your measuements very accurate. For ex your going for the middle goal then you will have to possition accuratley and your measurments accuratley. Also for programming I think there is a already a vex example on the VexCode V5 you could probaly use that and just adjust measurments and stuff. We used that and worked well for us in our competions.

2 Likes

you should be able to do a PID with your drive motor encoders (the ones built in to the motors)

1 Like

Our team uses an inertial sensor for turning and that’s it. For driving we use pid, an accurately tuned, highly developed pid. The inertial sensor isn’t 100% necessary for getting 100-160 points. Our program can get 220 with just an inertial sensor and pid. Minus the inertial I think you should be set for 100-160 with some time committed to making it accurate.

Here are some guides to pid:
https://www.vexforum.com/uploads/short-url/buexv3XI4CflyuDzkxC9wNzTOg4.pdf
https://jloh02.github.io/robotics/introduction-to-pid/

Another thing I could suggest is odometry based off built in motor encoders although I am unsure of how accurate it would be without pedometers.
Here is a guide:

2 Likes

If your auton is tracking distance, then you will be using sensors. V5 motors have a built-in encoder sensor that monitors how much a motor has turned. An encoder itself is not part of a normal motor.

2 Likes

This was my first year coding Vex, and I was able to create a 40pt match auto + 100 - 120pt auto skills. I hadn’t taught myself PID yet nor how to utilize sensors, so created individual functions which allowed me to move in x-direction [basic, I know]. These functions converted my input (the number of inches desired to move) through conversions of rotations of the drive train. When it came to running auton, per se, I’d just put like driveFwd(40);, and it’d drive forward.

However, as @anon9756651 said, the measurements have to be very, very specific. There’s so much accountability for error, which is why I plan to utilize PID/sensors in the future. It took a lot of time to get it right, especially when it came to turns. For the time being, though, the above strategy could work this far in the season. Let me know if you need any help.

1 Like