Tips for Worlds

Team Party is for anybody associated with VEX including family members. Each attendee has to have an admission ticket for the event.

0 Likes

@WARCoachL Yes, family can go to that. But in my personal opinion, the amusement park they send you to (assuming it’s the same one as last year) is…subpar, to put it lightly. I would highly recommend going out to eat in Louisville if you can rent a car. There are places in Old Town that are really good, like Hammerhead’s, or you can go to the newer part of town for less hole-in-the-wall type places. The restaurants are great, either way.

0 Likes

Pelican cases are nice. Pretty good $200 if you can spare it.

0 Likes

Last yeah my TL got him to autograph out state finalists trophy… too bad he only had a dry erase marker on hand.

0 Likes

3 years ago when I went to worlds, I learned so much. Here’s what I took away from the event:

1: You know that issue where your teammate might be severely underperforming and it makes you have to carry the entire match? That happens at every level of competition, even Worlds.
2: Make sure you know when your matches are. Even if you know when your matches are, make sure you know when your matches are. Once we thought we were wrapped up for the day and then suddenly the automated system texted me saying we had a match coming up, and I was freaking out because my other two team members had gone to get ice cream, so I essentially looked like this
3: Go for the experience and let the rest happen. I think we all get so caught up in the idea of winning that we forget to enjoy the event and just realize what an amazing thing it is that we’re all a part of. Winning Worlds would be amazing, yes, but the fact that you’re at Worlds means you’re already a winner and you should be proud.
4: The team party was a lot of fun. It was refreshing after spending all day competing nonstop.
5: You will look back on the time you went to Worlds with such incredibly fond memories, as I have been for 3 years now.

1 Like

What “automated system”

0 Likes

I’m not sure if they still have it, but back at Worlds, we signed up for a system that would text you when you had an upcoming match as a reminder. I think it was optional.

0 Likes

I am sure that the texting system will be in place. You can sign up for up to three phone numbers per team and the system will text those three numbers when you have an upcoming match. Very slick and handy.

0 Likes

VEX Text, as it is called, is still a thing.

Technically all events have access to the service, but it’s too much of a hassle to implement at most smaller events.

0 Likes

They really missed out on calling it “Vext”.

0 Likes

That’s cool but it would sound like “vexed” , which can mean annoyed, frustrated or angry

0 Likes

One fun thing that a lot of teams do it bring “tokens” to market your team. Everyone at worlds wants to stand out, and be memorable, so I would do something that can make you stand out. Every year, we make sure to decorate our pits in Red, Black and White (School colors). We also bring a ball similar to those of Toss Up, and have every team who stops by our pit sign it. Last, we 3D print a bunch of small gears with our team number and letter, so every team that talks to us can take a token to remember. Be creative with this, I have seen so many different “marketing” ideas!

1 Like

Come to think of it, That means you should definitely explore! Other 's pits often have tokens you can take, and there are also a lot of really cool attractions and booths. Battlebots actually had a setup at worlds last year with a couple of the actual robots and it was very cool. Also you may want to bring extra seats if you have a larger team. There are 2 seats in each booth and it fills up fast if you’ve got a bunch of people

0 Likes

Also! (sorry for the third post) Worlds is an amazing experience, make sure you savor every moment regardless of what happens! Last year at worlds, we were so excited and sure that we’d be great, but our robot kinda decided to drag itself along the ground for most of our matches. We were sad but it was still amazing. We went 2-8, and after we realized that we wouldnt make the tournament, we decided to just have fun and enjoy our time there. Even if your robot ends up falling apart, make sure to enjoy yourself! you learn so much from worlds and its one of the most fun ways to spend your time. AND BE SURE that you stay for the new game reveal. It is ICONIC and definitely something you’ll never forget. I hope you guys have a great experience at worlds!

0 Likes

Don’t try to shake hands with the Malaysian girls team. I didn’t know I couldn’t do that and @Pepsi can testify to it as well. Know culture before you shake hands with teams after you go through strats and such.
Edit: this is if you are male (I think)

0 Likes

Care to mention why?

0 Likes

Source: https://www.justlanded.com/english/Malaysia/Malaysia-Guide/Business/Business-etiquette

1 Like

ah

0 Likes

Yeah… Forgot to look up stuff on the ride there lol.

0 Likes

How much do the custom worlds sweatshirts cost?

0 Likes