Tips on choosing a good alliance partner

What are some good tips on choosing the right alliance partner?

Find a robot that complements yours. If you’re a pushbot that can only score stars then go for a clawbot that can score cubes. If you’re a decent dumper, then go with a team that can hang.

I’d ask myself this question when looking at a robot as a potential alliance partner: “What can this robot do that mine can’t?” Look for a robot that complements you well.

Also look at what their autonomous capabilities are. Do they go for the cube in the center? Do you, too? Do you or they have other programs that don’t do this that they can use?

We have a Google Sheet for all the teams in our area. We input all the data(Average OPR, DPR, CCWM, Average Wins, Losses, Ties, Rank) and what tournaments they are going to. Then we can sort the spreadsheet by the tournament we are going to, and find a robot that complements our based on the statistic that works with us. It is a lot of work, but we usually have pretty good 2nd picks.

@dbenderpt

What are the OPR’s, DPR’s and CCWM’s of a robot? Do you usually overlook them, since many people don’t know what they are, or do have a method for comparing them?

All good advice above, and I will at that the most important pick is the 3rd member of your team. Scout to find that team that had some manner of bad and ended with a record that does not match their potential. In most tournaments, the next number on the list for the 17-24th picks is NOT the team that will make your best alliance.

@Colossus ,

We use VEX DB to get the data and manually enter the OPR, DPR, and CCWM for every team. We just simply compare them against the teams up and down the rankings to decide which pick is best for us. We don’t use these statistics alone as there are other statistics that are more important.

I am not sure if the OPR for this season will be a true reflection of the offensive power. It shows more of the difference in abilities of the 2 opposing alliances.