Tournament Manager not recognizing robots

I have Tournament Manager set up for my League. All test lights function correctly but when robots are plugged in there is no response in either autonomous or driver control. I have swapped cables and eventually had to run a competition switch. Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Are the robots correctly programmed in the competition template?

The communication from Tournament Manager to the robots is strictly one-way only so there is no ability for TM to detect or recognize robots at all. As long as the driver station lights are correct then it is highly unlikely to be a TM issue, but rather a robot/joystick issue. Are these Cortex robots or V5? For Cortex robots you should be able to look at the “Game” LED to see if it is receiving the signal from TM. Unfortunately I’ve never seen a V5 in person myself so I don’t know what its behavior is when plugged into the competition port.

When you plug a V5 into the tower or field switch you will see an icon appear at the top. It will have Pause symbol if disabled and a Play symbol if in driver control or lines of code symbol if in program mode.

In addition, James Pearman indicates that the Radio LED on the robot will change from RED to GREEN when connected to the field.

From version 1.0.3

yup - sorry about that omission… lots going on here :wink:

The district upgraded our computers - not expected - and we have Win10 on them all. Has the field control software been updated or does it still require Win7?

Windows 7 is a minimum requirement. Tournament Manager works with Windows 10.

On another note, may I ask as to why ROBOTC requires a team number if the tournament manager doesn’t recognize the team number of a robot connected?

I have never put my number into a ROBOTC program… I think it’s just there for no reason…? There may be some use but I haven’t seen it.

It’s for wireless debugging. Vex techs have (or at least had for the cortex system) an interesting array of vexnet keys with special firmware that allow them to view all wireless channels currently in use, and certain telemetry information about the devices on each channel, such as time connected, battery level, firmware version, and team number. This allows them to more effectively diagnose and fix wireless issues.

At the US Open last year they had this setup behind the main stage at the tech support table.

This system also has some other interesting tricks up its sleeve. For instance, you may have noticed some vexNet keys attached to some of the field perimeters at worlds and the US Open. These keys broadcast specific channels with the goal of attracting the devices at that field to that channel. This “manual” assignment of channels helps maintain a minimal number of channels between each used, and (in theory) helps the consistency of the connection by reducing interference on neighboring channels.

Oh and the team number isn’t actually required; ROBOTC just says it is.