Tower Bots

So we’ve heard of tray bots
And dr4bs
And wallbots, tetherbots, and cap bots.
But…what about tower bots?

It’s an idea I haven’t really seen done yet, but I feel like it would be really sweet if there was a bot that was dedicated to scoring towers. It would have a 6 motor v5 or 10 motor v4 drivetrain for heavy tower defense, but carry an arm that can score in the highest tower and with development, maybe stack?
On top of that, it would be simple and easy to build, making it a great choice for beginner teams.
Compared to a dr4b, a tower bot would have a faster and more stable lift as well as a more powerful drivetrain for defense. It would also be easier and cheaper to build.
Overall I feel like a tower bot would potentially be competitive when placed with a fitting alliance partner.
But what do you think? Is it viable? Does it have enough advantages over a dr4b?
Edit: I duplicated the text twice

2 Likes

Probably not since it isn’t dedicated to scoring. I’ve said it a lot before, but I don’t think towers are going to be very competitive. If teams balance their colors, they’ve rendered the towers useless, and any cube their opponents put in their towers is time wasted and a cube that won’t be scored for them. Any of the other scoring focused bots we’ve seen should easily be able to win a 1v1 against a tower bot, and a 2v2 as well since the tower bot sets up a 1v2 scoring competition that doesn’t favor their team.

1 Like

How many cubes is the tower bot going to pick up. And what’s it likely going to do in the case that the alliance partner does not show up to the match? Is it still going to be able to score cubes inside the goal zones. Or is it going to have to simply descore towers?

This could work, especially against tray bots. I wonder what lifts would be used with this design, though. Cool idea, though. :+1:

1 Like

a bot that just scores towers might be viable early season, but in the long run I don’t think it’ll be able to compare with tube lifts

Towers are only helpful if you have more of a certain color cube than your opponent. If you are focusing on towers, it’s hard to get more cubes, and your opponent can see the few cubes that you do have, and get the same color as you, making it useless to go for towers of that color. In the time you spent going for towers, your opponent has gotten more cubes, and more colors than you, so towers couldn’t help you.

I think we’ve established time and time again that towers are and will be useful. So that’s not the issue here. The issue is the viability of tower bots.

A common subconscious comparison to tower bots is cap bots from last year, but that’s just not the case. Capbots could score quite a few points, while towers alone score no points. So let’s avoid comparing the two here.

So, in my mind, a tower bot would have a 6 motor drive, 1 motor lift, and 1-2 motor active intake.

The tower bot would be useless until the end of the match, so it’d have to be able to play heavy defense. It could score some points by externally stacking in zones, but that would be slow.

It almost seems better just to build a low-capacity tube lift and primarily focus on towers, whilst still being able to score stacks of ~4 in the zones and then stack on top of them if need be.

So, my deliberation results in my bias against tower-only bots because it’s not that much harder to build a much better (scoring potential wise) robot that is more versatile.

5 Likes

@Anomalocaris But what team is going to have time, much less room, to stack all colors. I’d say you will only be seeing teams maybe stacking 2 colors…

The cubes start such that every color is near at least one cube of each of the other two colors. If you ignore that and only go for one or two colors, your opponent will out stack you (assuming all teams and robots are similar in skill level)

Ah yes, but remember the tower bot isn’t built for the purpose of stacking, so it would kinda be unfair to compare the two. Sort of like comparing a wallbot to a traybot.
Also the tower bot would carry additional features such as vision sensors or other attachments to help it with tower scoring.
I see the tower bot mainly being a support bot, and being used as such.

1 Like

Going, to be honest with you. Your idea can be competitive IF you have a GOOD teammate who can stack a lot of cubes and you do towers. You would nail that match. Then again, you won’t always have a good teammate. Image if you get a small robot who only stacks one cube at once very slow. And the other team has two super stackers with nine cubes a stack. What do you do? Try to stack cubes? You really can’t so you are out of luck and toast. So It could be competitive if you get the right teammate so I would say it is WAY too risky.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I thought too. Maybe if you did decently enough you could get a good partner for elims

If it’s unfair to compare the two, why did you ask if it could beat a dr4b?

Oooooooh. I misunderstood you, I thought you were talking about a traybot which is almost.purely designed to stack.
Sorry about that

I would argue that dr4bs are also only designed to stack but that might just be how my team is gonna play.

1 Like

Yeah that’s probably only your team, I honestly wouldn’t use s dr4b on an all stacking bot but maybe that’s just me

2 Likes

I see dr4bs as a compromise between towers and stacking. They dont stack as well as a tray but they play the towers better.
A dr4b is undoubtedly better than a tower bot at stacking. The question is, does the stacking capabilities of a dr4b outweigh it’s less effective tower play? (Compared to a dedicated tower bot)

Ok what advantage in towers does this tower bot even have over a dr4b?

We chose a dr4b specifically so we could stack high. We figured that if it holds 12 cubes at once it can compete with tray bots

It would be faster at doing towers and have extra functions such as a passive aligned or vision sensor to help it. Most likely would have a 6 motor drivebase for better defense.
But whether or not these advantages are worth giving up stacking will be a mystery until placed in a real match