Tower takeover rules clarification

Is it legal to make contact with an opposing team’s robot in order to knock over a stack of cubes contained on their robot?

Wrong Q&A, this is for Awards Judging not for the game itself.

Further edit: I read the question as make contact with their robot to push them into their scored cubes and knock them over. For the answer to the question actually asked, skip to the bottom.

No. Per the definition of scored and the wording of the rule. One of the conditions for a cube being scored is not touching a robot of the same color as the goal it’s in. It is against the rules to cause a cube in an opponent’s goal to no longer be scored. Thus with rules-as-written, pushing an opponent into their cubes would be breaking the rule even if no cubes fell over.

e: there does appear to be some ambiguity as to doing this to the unprotected goal, as <SG3f> that I was referencing appears to only apply to cubes in the protected goal. <SG3b> only refers to contact, and transitive contact laid out by <SG7> only applies to cubes.

Further edit: ah, you said “on their robot” which makes it perfectly legal. There is no protection for cubes that are not scored in some way.

4 Likes

Could we have a tiny spatula to empty those pesky tray stackers. Y’know just a little tip back to make the cubes in the tray fall out.

@John_TYler I do not believe that response is accurately correct.

G12 point d answers this question:

d. Game elements in possession of a Robot are an extension of that Robot. Therefore,
Entanglement (e.g., grasping, hooking, attaching) with Cubes that are in the possession of an
opposing Robot is a violation of this rule.

If the cubes are loosely in the opposing robot, you can attempt to hit the robot with enough force where the cubes may be knocked out. But, if you intend to steal the cubes through physically intaking them, it will not be legal.

Hopefully this answers the question :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was probably correct at time of posting. The first scheduled rules update happened between then and now. I don’t think <G12d> existed on May 14th.

4 Likes

I believe you are correct. This was something that was updated very recently so it needs some time to be brought to attention. I was able to get notice of this change through the EP livestream as my no-life self decided to spend much of my time laying eyes on it from beginning to end.
My bad, I didn’t see the time it was posted :joy:

1 Like

Either way if you were to “accidentally” bump into an opponent’s robot it could be classified as an offensive maneuver and may still be legal. Of course that all depends on the referee

thank you @John_TYler for making this clarification I also had this same question