Tower takeover vocab

So as the competition season is starting and we start programming, what are you guys calling the field elements?

i’m aware that there are official names but i looking for what the TEAMS are calling them, or what people are intuitively calling them.

we called the cubes “cubes” duh
then the towers of cubes -“stacks”
then the towers that hold cubes - “cups”
then the “cup” variants
“low cup”
“middle cup”
“high cup”
“their cup”
“our cup”

2 stack area - “front”
1 stack area - “back”

idk what are you guys calling them? cause there are way too many “towers” in this game. tower this, tower that gets confusing

2 Likes

I just call the towers for cubes “towers”

6 Likes

I call towers towers or occasionally fishbowls. And then fat scoring zone and not fat scoring zone.

2 Likes

Non-fat scoring zone, now with 50% less cubage!

We call the innermost scoring zone the goal zone and the white taped zone the protected zone. Other than that, so many things are really intuitive. Even terms I’ve never heard I can usually figure out really quickly due to context clues.

Robot-type variants will be different, though. (Traybots, etc.)

5 Likes

I just call them big goal and small goal

4 Likes

My team calls the towers for multiplying wine-glasses.

3 Likes

Towers = towers
Stacks of cubes = stacks
Protected goal zone = protected goal
Unprotected goal zone = unprotected goa

3 Likes

Quick! Play defense on the opposing alliance’s Unprotected Goa!

2 Likes

my terms are identical to @224x’s. keep it simple and easy for alliance partners to understand. but of course pointing and yelling works well too if 5 syllables are too many.

2 Likes

For the towers, my team and i usually refer to the different heights of the towers, so low, medium and high, and alliance. As well as the inner protected, outproteted, and autonomous line. For cubes the definition is mostly universal.

1 Like

I agree with @224x and @Xenon27 , you should use the official terms when talking to alliance partners or on the forum but if slang at ur organization is understood and the norm (or it’s just faster to use) nobody can say anything against u using it to coach.

2 Likes

Just remember to use correct vocabulary when discussing rulings with Head Referees - there are precise definitions that accompany these specific terms.

Good luck and be sure to read the VRC Tower Takeover Game Manual for specific vocabulary and definitions used in competition.

5 Likes

yes, clear and proper terminology is definitely necessary for ref discussions.

ref: what seems to be the issue
team: the buglums bopped my fishbowl.
ref: what?
team: yeh plus they ate the non-fat zone
ref: what?
team: DRow for gdc

21 Likes

In our design notebook we drew a tower and it ended up looking like a vex-branded wine glass.

1 Like

Only real men drink fine wine from vex towers.

4 Likes