Ultimate Anti-Wallbot Design

Someone posted this on the NerdHerd’s Facebook group, so I thought I’d share it with all of you. :smiley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6b4ZZQkcNEo

lol it’s flying! But where can we get enough power to do that? 20 pistons? The axles would bend like crazy when landing.

As we say on 687z, “Don’t worry about it!”

Just like this guys username.

Also, there is a high chance that will hit something else besides the field.

I would like to see a robot like that at Worlds. That would be pretty funny :smiley:

Holy… It’s 11 pounds and can jump 30 feet in the air. I don’t even…

Wut…
If your robot does this, I just hope it lands on the field. Imagine it landed on a driver o.0

If someone did this for Worlds, it wouldn’t need to go 30 ft up, just 3 or 4. I wonder if any NZ-style bots, or maybe the Green Eggs, are going to try to implement this?

Another wallbot-foiling idea could be a Clean-Sweep style catapult to try and shoot pieces into goals that are blocked by wallbots.

Quick, someone check the rule book for this. Incapacitating the driver: the wallbot evolved. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kind of reminds me of this post: https://vexforum.com/t/answered-shooting-balls/15872/1

Ha! This reminds me of one of my teamates’ ideas: “Let’s add a bright strobe light to our robot to distract/blind our opponents while we and our alliance partners wear safety-sunglasses!”

I am attending the AUVSI Unmanned Systems North America and the company that made this, Boston Dynamics, was there. I saw one of these in person; it is so cool and I really think someone should try this for vex.
Yes, I know it would be ridiculously inefficient and difficult.

Do you happen to know what shoots the robot in the air? Is it spring loaded? I bet it wouldn’t be that hard to quickly throw something together (but could be dangerous!).

I am pretty sure it is some sort of spring loaded actuation because it doesn’t seem to ever run out of air or have some sort of compressor.

Source - spectrum.ieee.org

Definitely a cool project.

Some more of Boston Dynamics work, the “Cheetah” Maybe you could use this to get past the wallbot before it deploys with a whopping speed of 18 mph (about 26 ft/s) :wink:

They had videos of that running on a tv at their booth and I also saw this run.

So it was a piston, interesting.

If we had the power to travel 30 feet vertically in a second… why don’t we just make a robot that pushes off the wall, travel to the opponent’s side, then fully expand in under 2 seconds

I don’t think anyone here was planning on trying to go 30 feet in the air. All you would need to do is go like 3 feet in the air to hop the trough and any wall bots you were to come across.

Or maybe someone will use it for Sack Attack and hop over the trough, rather than go under it. All for 3 extra inches of tower height.

That is what I said.
It also when win every design award in history.