Uploading to the V5 with PROS

Continuing the discussion from Wireless uploading to V5 brain:

In the interest of keeping posts on topic, let’s talk about this here :smile:

If you’ve installed the PROS Editor, there should be a button on the toolbar (box with an upward facing arrow on top of it) that you can click to upload your compiled project to the brain.

If you’re using the CLI, you can simply run prosv5 u (or prosv5 upload) in the root of your project.

@a0lite I’ve replied to your post in this new thread to help keep things on topic

Thank you very much!

I’m getting this error, mind helping me out with this?

File “C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\serial\serialutil.py”, line 240, in init
File “C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py”, line 62, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port ‘COM11’: PermissionError(13, ‘Access is denied.’, None, 5)

Make sure that you don’t have VCS or the firmware upgrade utility open.

Also, what version of PROS are you running? That specific error message was improved in the latest version (3.1.3).

I’m on 3.1.3. Also, I’ve found that after uploading the first version of the program, future edits to it never take effect on the next upload. I’ve even tried removing all user programs on the brain, but the problem seems to be within the editor itself.

The correct workflow is as follows:

1. Edit files
  2. Save edited files
  3. Build project
  4. Upload

The important step there is (3). C and C++ are compiled languages, so you’ll need to actually compile the changes into a new binary before uploading.

Note that if the changes are to header files only, you’ll need to do a clean build first (this is due to the way Make detects file changes).

You can build the project by clicking the button that looks like a clipboard with a check mark on it in the toolbar of the editor (and you can clean the project by using the PROS menu in the menu bar at the top of the window).

Yeah, sorry about that. We just discovered a bug in the way we implemented that improvement I mentioned :sweat_smile:

Ah, it was rebuilding that I forgot to do! Thanks for that, I suppose I’m just used to VCS doing that for me prior to uploading. Is there any chance that this “auto-build” feature would be implemented into PROS?

1 Like

PROS Quick Action (the lightning bolt on the toolbar) is configured to build, upload and open the terminal with one click. You can just do build/upload by opening the PROS package settings and unchecking the terminal action.

1 Like

:flushed: Thanks for pointing this out.

That should’ve been fixed in 3.1.3, but we made a mistake.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll be sure to use this in the future.