Using Field Elements

So I’m not suggesting that people do this, but is there any rule saying we can’t use field elements on our robots? There’s probably a rule on that I’ve missed, but I was just wondering if it was legal.

Read the Game Manual and you will find specifics.

Which ones are you considering ?

make sure to read the game manual in depth, it gives you all the rules.
in this situation, the manual clearly states that only vex parts made for use on a robot are allowed (with some exceptions for things like 3rd party screws, sheet plastic, and string). So to answer your question, no you definitely aren’t allowed to use game pieces on your robot.

6 Likes

I’ll check the Game Manual over again. I wasn’t considering any pieces in particular, but my dad thought the grey support tubes(the stems for the towers from last year and the supports in the goals for this year) would be a cool and potentially useful element.

The pipes would not be acceptable as functional elements of the robot.

Alright, thanks. I probably should’ve known that since this is my third year with Vex :joy:

the relevant rules in determining what you can build your robot out of are r6 and r8:

<R6> Robots are built from the VEX V5 or Cortex system. Robots may be built ONLY using official VEX
V5 and Cortex components, unless otherwise specifically noted within these rules. Teams are responsible for providing documentation proving a part’s legality in the event of a question. Examples of
documentation include receipts, part numbers, official VEX websites, or other printed documentation.
a. Products from the VEXpro, VEX IQ, or VEX Robotics by HEXBUG product line cannot be used for
Robot construction, unless specifically allowed by a clause of or cross-listed as part of the
VEX V5 or Cortex Product lines. For example, the Rubber Shaft Collar (228-3510) is a VEX IQ
component that can be found on the VEX “Shafts & Hardware” page, and is thus legal:
https://www.vexrobotics.com/shafts-and-hardware.html
b. VEX IQ pins used solely for the purpose of attaching VEX Team Identification Number Plates are
permitted.
c. Official VEX V5 and Cortex components which have been discontinued are still legal for
competition use. Teams must be cognizant of if attempting to use a discontinued part.
d. Any parts which are identical to legal VEX parts are permitted. For the purposes of this rule,
products which are identical in all ways except for color are permissible. It is up to inspectors to
determine whether a component is “identical” to an official VEX component.
VEX Robotics Competition Change Up - Game Manual
Copyright 2020, VEX Robotics Inc.
Released April 25, 2020
e. Components obtained from the V5 beta program, including V5 beta firmware, are not legal for
competition use.
i. All V5 beta hardware can be identified by its lighter gray pre-production color. Robot Brains,
Robot Batteries, Controllers, and Vision Sensors from the V5 beta have a “BETA TEST” stamp on
them. Smart Motors and Radios do not have this stamp, but can still be identified by color.
Using VEX apparel, competition support materials, packaging, or other non-robot products on a VEX
Robotics Competition Robot goes against the spirit of this rule and is not permitted.

<R8> Certain non-VEX components are allowed. Robots are allowed the following additional
“non-VEX” components:
a. Any material strictly used as a color filter or a color marker for a VEX Light Sensor.
b. Any non-aerosol based grease or lubricating compound, when used in extreme moderation on
surfaces and locations that do NOT contact the playing field walls, foam field surface, Balls, or other
Robots.
c. Anti-static compound, when used in extreme moderation (i.e. such that it does not leave residue on
playing field walls, the foam field surface, Balls, or other Robots).
d. Hot glue when used to secure cable connections.
e. An unlimited amount of 1/8” (or local metric equivalent), braided, nylon rope.
f. Commercially available items used solely for bundling or wrapping of 2-wire, 3-wire, 4-wire, or V5
Smart Cables, and pneumatic tubing are allowed. These items must solely be used for the purposes
of cable protection, organization, or management. This includes but is not limited to electrical tape,
cable carrier, cable track, etc. It is up to inspectors to determine whether a component is serving a
function beyond protecting and managing cables.
Non-functional 3D printed license plates, per and , are permitted.

2 Likes

More succinctly - read the Robot section of the Game Manual.

Encourage every team member to do so.

6 Likes

If its not functional than its fine. One example of this would be the flags from two years ago on peoples trays last year. They are not functional and only makes the tray look a little better.

Actually, they served to prevent cubes from getting diagonally stuck in people’s trays.

yes but they were using poly carbon on the trays and then flags behind so the flags did nothing

flags were used as part of your polycarbonate, in order to back the tray. the fact that they were field elements was irrelevent, as they were legally sized pieces of polycarbonate.

3 Likes

Yes exactly i probably should have specified that in the first comment

Unlike the flags which were made of polycarb which was legal, the poles from the towers are made of PVC(I’m pretty sure) which is illegal.

3 Likes

definition of “functional” but legal to use flags from TP as they were sheets of plastic that met the requirements of the game.

3 Likes

As long as the game elements are defined as legal building materials as per the rules and any Q+As (such as BS goals/platforms & TP flags), then you can use them as building materials. But if they aren’t then you cannot use them (unless you used them as a non-functional decoration).

4 Likes

What if one uses a preload from the current game as a design feature?

Do you mean if they use their preload to help them do something (such as holding the intakes up) or if they screwed a change up ball to their robot and used it functionally?

Scenario A

It would not pass inspection because if that configuration requires the ball then it would not be in size during inspection

Scenario B

You can’t use field elements for robot construction so that would be illegal. Also it poses the risk of interfering with the other teams vision sensors which is also a big nono

1 Like

More of on the line of tilting the robot off the ground so that a portion of the robot can extend outside of the Home Zone. As long as the robot is within the starting configuration, I don’t see a problem with this.

As far as I know there is nothing wrong with that because the home zone is just the field tiles, though I don’t think this will ever have any practical use