Using Stepper Motors With The VEX Construction System

In this video I show you how you can use stepper motors With The VEX Construction System. The VEX Cortex and the VEX Game Controller are used to control a Tronxy 3D Printer when interfaced with a RAMPS 1.4 Stepper Motor Controller using TI DRV8825 Stepper Motor Drivers. Unfortunately the VEX Construction System currently does not directly support using stepper motors but the low cost RAMPS 1.4 board available on eBay and Amazon is perfect for this task. Stepper motors can also be purchased online for relatively low prices, or they can easily be recycled from
old printers or plotters or other surplus equipment.

A Tronxy 3D Printer is a great example of using stepper motors for robotics applications. These motors are widely used in industry and automation as well as in 2D and 3D printers and good to know how to use for robotics applications that require precise movements. The TI DRV8825 stepper motor driver is capable of micro stepping up to 1/32 of a step. This is how 3D printers can reproduce objects so well when printed.

I am in the process of designing a 3D Scanner using the same Tronxy 3D Printer so that I will eventually be able to both 3D scan objects and then 3D print them using the same hardware.

9 Likes