V5 batteries - positive experience

Our teams had a positive experience with V5 at our first competition on Saturday. Our 10 teams were able to compete in 7 qualification matches and elims on 1 V5 battery each. The teams plugged in at every opportunity during matches, and ran skills very limited, but none of the teams ran out of battery.

I thought this would be encouraging info to teams that are going forward with V5 this season and have only one battery each. It is absolutely possible!!

We had a similar experience. One Battery per team all the way through the finals. My teams had them on charge in between matches and maintained over 75% charge.

Your robot might be low drain. Our batteries last 30 mins of consecutive driving at most. We had a battery that was 82% after a single round after starting from 100%. It might be our 6 motor v5 base draining all the power though.

30 minutes of consecutive driving aligns pretty well with 5 matches assuming no charging and an entire day assuming charging when possible.

6 motor V5 drive? for what do you use the other two motors?

One double catapult and one intake. We could flip ground caps with our intake and after we flipped all of the flags we could play defense with the 6 motor base.

We had a competition two weekends ago with 4 teams and 5 batteries and each team did fine with battery power. The good thing with V5 batteries I’ve noticed is that you can run them at 10% or 100% and they’re gonna preform fairly similarly. At least that’s what has been happening for our robots.

So the battery is nominally 1100mAH @ 12.8V. That means approximately constant current of 1A for 1 Hour. When I typically do a discharge test I will run at constant current between 3A, which lasts usually 18 to 20 minutes and perhaps 8A, which will last 6 to 7 minutes.

Running a robot in a match is harder to simulate, our tests with multiple motors running with maximum current up to the system limit of 20A, suggests perhaps two full matches at most, but a typical robot will be pulling less power than that so should easily last three.

The best thing to do is monitor capacity after each match and collect data for several, then you will have a good idea of your own robots requirements. I would not want to start a match with perhaps less than 40% capacity available.

We documented our battery consumption on a robot with two motor drive, two motor puncher, one motor ball intake, and a one motor cap flipper and we only used about 10%, but consumption does depend on robot. Curious to why you say not to start a match under 40%?

We had pretty good luck with two batteries on Saturday. We did have a flywheel, which meant that our bot drained close to 25% battery per match, which isn’t good. During finals the other team took a timeout after we had turned our bot on, and our battery drained four percent between the timeout and the other team placing their bots down (close to five minutes). No movement on the bot, just standing still.

Pretty happy though. Would totally recommend getting two batteries per team next year.

I was assuming more usage per match and just being conservative, perhaps waiting around for match to start, perhaps aborted autonomous and match restart. Unlike the cortex which will keep going on a really low battery (although with much reduced performance), the V5 will turn off if voltage drops below a certain threshold for a few seconds with capacity below 10%.