V5 drone

You could easily make a VEX frame drone fly with brushless motors, a normal FC and a lipo. The challenge would be to make an all VEX one, even if using some OEM props.

0 Likes

A V5 motor can give 11 watts, which is power/sec. By dividing by 1000 to get to kW and multiplying by 3,600 to get kWh, I end up with 39.6 kWh, which is definitely enough.

1 Like

cool so doing this with V5 should be easy as long as all the proplers are the same

0 Likes

I mean the gears a bit heavier but it is more powerful so you might be able to pull it off.

0 Likes

the v5 motor overheat, when it be slower ?

1 Like

In a word, yes. Considering that V5 motors have temperature sensors, I don’t see that happening as long as you’re careful.

0 Likes

I’ve been mulling about propeller placement for a while, and I believe I have an optimal placement for propellers. My top view for a drone with 8 propellers:

And with 4 propellers. This can also be modified to 8 propellers, by adding upside down propellers in the same area:

2 Likes

I’m working on designing one that uses 18 inch diameter props and will be competition legal

4 Likes

Share when done. Pics or it didn’t happen.

1 Like

Will do, I’m not sure if it would be able to lift any mechanisms like flippers or puncher though

2 Likes

Even if it isn’t specifically denied, I doubt most refs would let it by on instinct. It would be easy to say it’s not “in the spirit of the game”.

0 Likes

Blatant <S1> violation. Don’t think that has even been up for debate in this thread since the very early posts.

0 Likes

Rules aside, I still just can’t see this working.
To get a high enough prop speed is going to need some serious gearing and so then changing the prop speed quickly without laggy acceleration and deceleration times is not going to be possible. Of you can’t change prop speeds quickly, you don’t have stability. Then you have the issue of sensors - you need a decent gyro and accelerometer response. And then serve that with a side of massive weight issues.

All that said, I still want to see someone try just in case!

2 Likes

here

5 Likes

the point of this is because the future is (hopefully) drones and flying/floating objects.

0 Likes

thank you, also I want to know how to set gyro sensors , Can you set some code for turn 90 with gyro sensors with me?

0 Likes

could sanding plexiglass into a rotor work for rotors?

3 Likes

Yes. Maybe use polycarb.

1 Like

yes please :pray: that would be awesommee.

0 Likes

I actually researched a ton about this. Most drones weigh less then 5 kg and typically need to be as light as possible. the main limitation is how large your rotors can be. If you have a 4" quadcopter the max weight limit is 8.2 kg with perfect wind conditions and everything.

I did the calculations and getting a vex brain or cortex is literally so heavy that you might as well just use one of the actual drone esc’s and controler with your vex motors…

soo… essentially if you have any money going into making your drone. just make a custom drone from vex parts that uses typical drone components…

0 Likes