V5 Smart Motor Overheat?

There are other ways of making a robot more controllable than just reducing its top speed, by the way. They usually involve some scheme for making the joysticks less sensitive near the center and more sensitive near the edges.

1 Like

Yeah, our method of limiting speed is more of a short term solution compared to a long term one. We’re slowly bringing back the turning speed to normal as our driver gets situated into the speed. But I do agree, having some form of joystick function less sensitive near the center for minute adjustments is a great idea.

2 Likes

So we have our motors configured at 600RPM and it’s just running a basic drive code, however we do plan on limiting the forward/backward speed to around 350 and turns at 200. For this instance we were running at 600RPM but we are gonna limit them

limiting speed might make controlling it easier, but it does not increase the torque of the motor itself.

1 Like

It will reduce the stress the motor is put through right?

@vexreally is correct, the way gear ratios work is that the torque does not change, even though you are able to tweak the speed. As mentioned earlier, use 200rpm cartridges (green ones) or add some gear ratios to make it 230 rpm if you need more speed than 200.

1 Like

If you want some increased speed over the 200rpm standard (without using a gear train setup to increase the rpm output), you can increase the overall rpm output with pros by pushing more voltage through. (I might be wrong, but if anyone can confirm this it would be great).

1 Like

Because you are using 600rpm gearboxes, they have 1/3rd the torque of the standard 200rpm gearboxes. Torque represents the “rotational power” of the motor and the attached wheel, thus it is 3 times more difficult for a 600rpm motor to move the base vs a 200rpm gearbox. It’s just better to have more torque on your base, especially for when you add more components on top of it.

1 Like

You can do this with pros or VCS/VexCode, @jpearman has a great thread explaining how to set motor voltage, as it requires changing the motor class. From experience, I believe the motors can go up to 10-20 rpm faster (we got 220 rpm on our flywheel last year)

1 Like

changing the motor class is not necessary with VEXcode, only last years August VCS release.

1 Like

ok, I actually do remember seeing voltage control in VexCode. Thanks for the clarification.

also, if you plan on using motor voltage, avoid setting the motor to over 12 volts. It can damage the motor if you try to run more voltage through it.

That thread’s advice about Robot Mesh Studio is obsolete as well. It’s now just an additional overload to the spin method, taking voltage units:

void vex::motor::spin (directionType dir,
                       double        voltage,
                       voltageUnits  units)

The method signature in both RMS C++ and VEXcode is the same, so this works for both tools.

Continuing the topic about the overrheat is there a way to get sensor data from the v5 motor? I’ve heard that it has a thermometer

vex::motor.temperature will return the temperature of a motor in percent. For more information about “motor temperature in precent” see this post:

3 Likes

using a 4 motor 600rpm drive is a bad idea to begin with, its fun for experimenting with, but for tournaments or public demonstration, 4 motor 200 rpm drive is much more promising.

Well yes, but no.
Yes it would decrease the strain on the motors…
By making them go limp noodle whenever they encounter resistance.

What about for Pros?

The docs are your best friend! pros::motor::get_temperature will return motor temperature in deg C.

1 Like

A bit off topic, but @CarCar is already a regular. Props to you.

2 Likes