Vertical lifts?

Hey guys!

so, I am having problems with my cads lately. i am doing a traybot, and most of the lifts that I try are not working. i’ve decided to try for a vertical lift. do you know of anything other than a dr4b, dr6b, cascade lift, and danny lift? currently i am thinking scissor would work. I need something that you don’t have to attach pivots on the tray of my robot. also, if you know of some, could you list some decent scissor lift designs here?

Thanks!

I’m not too sure what you are asking but a 2-bar (with or without chain for keeping position) and a 4-bar are other lifts you may want to look into.

1 Like

You should consider just using a rack gear and linear slides to lift your tray up

Since you mentioned a scissor lift after you gave your list, I’m gonna assume you know it’s vertical. The other option would be a peaucellier lift, which is essentially a just 4 bar that lifts linearly. I would recommend you just do a 4 bar though, because you don’t need to lift linearly for anything this year, and you don’t need to lift high either.

2 Likes

I have built one scissor lift before and they are not something you want in your life. They are heavy, not fun to tune, and can be outpaced by literally any other lift except maybe a poorly built cascade lift. Typically a dr4b can achieve the same results as a scissor lift and 4 bars (6 if you must) can handle any lifting for this game.

4 Likes

Also,

Normally when building lifts you don’t attach them directly onto whatever you are lifting. I think you might want to look at some real life examples of lifts before you start mounting stuff directly onto your lift bars.

1 Like

This is a link of pictures that the Pilons posted from their TT season. They had their tray mounted atop a 4 bar and there are some good images showing the way they had their 4 bar connecting to small vertical towers on the tray side, which had the tilter mounted on them. You would most likely need to do something like this, but much less complicated, as no tilters are required this year.

Also, if you don’t want to build a 4 bar or have a separate attachment to the tray for the connection for the 4 bar, you could build something like this, where you just have a chain bar very simply mounted to the tray. It should be a very low stress application but if you have chain breaking or slipping problems, just make sure it’s tensioned correctly and aligned properly, and double it up if you absolutely need to.

Hope this helps and sorry if I misunderstood your question.
2 Likes

Build a dr4b. There is a reason they are the most popular lift in vex; they are the easiest linear vex lifts to make functional. I know one of @DougMoyers teams has a really good elevator lift, but from what I’ve heard, it took a while to get it working well.

1 Like

I would recommend using a 4 bar this season, it’s way simpler than any other lift you’ll try.

2 Likes

I would certainly recommend a 4 bar. All of the linear lifts are gonna be major overkill. All you need is a little bit big height to get where you need.

2 Likes

i tried that one. unfortunately, it was the one that i was having the most problems with.

if a 4 bar gives you the most problems, anything more will definitely be too difficult. 4 bars are extremely simple lifts, we can help you with issues you encounter, but picking a more complicated lift is not going to solve your problems.

4 Likes

Can you specify what the exact issue you are having?

well, it was more of a spacing and support problem. I have an x-drive base, and already need flip-out intakes. the gears that lock the bar to the axle stick out the back and exceed the size limit. there is no way to move it forward. i am now curious if a mini dr4b would do the trick.

I would mount the lift as high as you can on the robot, and make the arms shorter so that when you lift up to the height required, it’s reaching out instead of up. I can draw a sketch if you require one.

a dr4b is completely overkill, and will just cause you more issues. If you’re running into sizing issues, you probably didn’t properly design your robot before you started building, I’d recommend CAD or at least some scale sketches. It is definitely possible to fit a 4 bar into the size constraints.

4 Likes

on the contrary, i DID cad and that’s how ik that its gonna be a problem. also, yes please. a quick, simple sketch would help.

1 Like

well the point of CAD is so you can catch these issues and make modifications to your design to fix them. if you mount your 4 bar very high on your towers, move your towers just a bit forward so the gear doesn’t stick out the back, and then shorten the arms, it should be able to lift high enough and still remain in size.

2 Likes

I think the issue he’s having is that he doesn’t have another possible mounting position.

The thing about chassis is that you typically want to design them around the mechanisms on the bots for this reason. There are a couple of ways to add mounting positions to the bot that aren’t to challenging. That’s probably what you will need to do.

ok. I am just struggling with the mounting. I designed the x-drive so that balls could literally pass straight through the center of the robot. would you like some pics of my cad?