VEX disc shooting/launching mechanism

Hi—

Just wonder if you could share some of your experience in designing the disco launch/shoot mechanism. My middle school team that I am coaching is new to VEX this year.

Any easy description of how to build using what part will be very helpful for our team.

Appreciate any help
CJ

I would encourage beginning teams to build one of the pre-designed trainers, found here: V5 Build Instructions - Downloads - V5 - VEX Robotics 1 . These pre-designed trainer-builds represent generally good-quality building techniques (especially the “V5 Clawbot”) so you can learn the VEX building system. Each season, a new pre-designed game-specific trainer is offered (this year it is called Disco) to provide a starting point for teams to compete in early competition: typically a robot with good build quality but deliberately mediocre game performance. Once you have become familiar with the VEX building system, you can begin to look at pictures, youtube videos, game reveals, etc, for inspiration, then work through the engineering design process to build your own unique mechanism.

VEX has a great resource for beginning teams to learn the design process and how to make decisions. Take a look here, and especially look at the “engineering” section to see how experienced teams have worked through making their design decisions: https://kb.roboticseducation.org/hc/en-us/articles/8373753632407-Students-Start-Here 1
and:

7 Likes