Vex Forum Dark Theme

Hello,
I know the team on the Vex Forum is probably extremely tired right now, trying to iron out all the bugs. But, once the forum is in a good enough condition, would you consider adding an option for a dark theme? I know I am not the only one who would prefer a set of darker colors to these bright whites, and light grays.

Completely agree. I think the colours are hard on your eyes and I would appreciate an official way to change to dark theme or something. Im unsure as to how Vex could go about doing this as according to this thread
http://esotalk.org/forum/1970-themes-for-users it would require a modification to the core of esoTalk, but I hope they can sort it out.

Really, I would prefer a permeant, but decent, darker theme any day to the bright whites of this one.

Also, there are workarounds at the moment, so if you are feeling adventurous you can dive into editing some CSS with a chrome extension like StyleBot. A few users have come up with some nice alternatives like this: http://imgur.com/A2zFL68

I think this would be a good feature. I would probably use it. :slight_smile:

For anyone who is using Chrome and wants a quick solution without having to fiddle with CSS yourself:

Go to the chrome web store and install Stylebot

Once it’s added to Chrome, right click the button that says CSS in the top right

From the right click menu, select “Options”.

When the options tab opens, select “Backup” from the menu on the left, then click “Import Styles”.

In the text box, paste the following, then click “Import”.

{"www.vexforum.com":{"_enabled":true,"_rules":{"#body":{"background-color":"#542e2e"},"#body-content":{"background-color":"#3d3d3d"},"#conversationTitle":{"color":"#c4c4c4"},"#ftr":{"background-color":"#0d0d0d"},"#ftr-content":{"background-color":"#0d0d0d"},"#hdr":{"background-color":"#0d0d0d"},"#memberInfo":{"color":"#e8e8e8"},"#memberName":{"color":"#f5f5f5"},"a.attachment.attachment-image":{"background-color":"#000000","color":"#a114a1"},"a.channel-list":{"background-color":"#dedede","color":"#595959"},"a.channel.channel-10":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-11":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-13":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-14":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-15":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-16":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-17":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-18":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-19":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-20":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-22":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-23":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-24":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-25":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-26":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-27":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-28":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-29":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-3":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-6":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-7":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-8":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.channel.channel-9":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"a.control-b":{"color":"#e8e8e8"},"a.expand":{"background-color":"#4d4d4d"},"a.link-member":{"color":"#850000"},"blockquote.collapsed p":{"background-color":"#7d7d7d"},"div.action":{"color":"#dbdbdb"},"div.action a":{"color":"#ffffff"},"div.info":{"background-color":"#242424\n"},"div.postBody":{"background-color":"#d1d1d1","border-color":"#d1d1d1"},"div.postBody blockquote":{"background-color":"#616161"},"div.postBody blockquote p":{"background-color":"#616161","color":"#e8e8e8"},"div.postBody p":{"background-color":"#d1d1d1"},"div.postBody textarea":{"background-color":"#d1d1d1\n"},"div.postContent.thing":{"background-color":"#d1d1d1","color":"d1d1d1"},"div.postFooter":{"background-color":"#d1d1d1\n"},"div.postHeader":{"background-color":"#242424","border-color":"#d1d1d1","color":"#a127a1"},"div.timeMarker":{"background-color":"#1a1a1a","color":"#e8e8e8"},"i.icon-bold":{"color":"#e8e8e8"},"i.icon-code":{"color":"#e8e8e8"},"i.icon-h-sign":{"color":"#e8e8e8"},"i.icon-italic":{"color":"#e8e8e8"},"i.icon-link":{"color":"#e8e8e8"},"i.icon-picture":{"color":"#e8e8e8"},"i.icon-quote-left":{"color":"#ffffff"},"i.icon-strikethrough":{"color":"#e8e8e8"},"li.channel-22":{"background-color":"#3d3d3d\n"},"li.channel-23.unread":{"background-color":"#250000"},"li.channel-3.label-sticky":{"background-color":"#3d3d3d\n"},"li.channel-7.unread":{"background-color":"#252525"},"li.channel-9.unread":{"background-color":"#252525"},"li.depth0":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"li.depth1":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"li.depth1.hasChildren":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"li.depth2":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"li.depth3":{"background-color":"#424242\n"},"li.item-settings a":{"color":"adadad"},"li.scrubberMore.scrubberPrevious a":{"background-color":"#666666","border-color":"#666666"},"li.unread":{"background-color":"#25253d"},"ol.activityList":{"background-color":"#787878"},"ol.activityList li":{"background-color":"#787878"},"p.signature-no-likes":{"background-color":"#d1d1d1","border-color":"#d1d1d1","color":"#2b2b2b"},"p.subText":{"color":"#f5f5f5"},"ul.form":{"background-color":"#3d3d3d","color":"#969696"},"ul.form li div":{"background-color":"#3d3d3d"},"ul.list.channelList":{"background-color":"#424242\n"}}}}

Once you’ve done that, if you open a new tab and go to Vex Forum you should see that the site looks different. (The Chrome plugin won’t work in tabs that were open before it was installed).

Credit for this theme goes to Jamie. Thanks Welshkiwi!

This is a very cool theme, however when I did this i could no longer click anywhere inside the rectangle around a thread to open it, I had to click on the text itself.

This is a little weird, as on one of the themes I created clicking anywhere in the rectangle works fine. :confused:

That’s probably my fault, since I took a version of Jamie’s theme while it was in progress and colour coded the unread threads which seems to have been the step that caused the issue. The rollover effects are also inconsistent in this version.

Jamie might have a version that doesn’t have these problems. Fortunately it’s easy for people to make small edits like this and share them. My CSS skills aren’t that great, but if someone provides a fix for this then I can edit it into my post.

Jamies in progress theme (in my testing) also seems to possess this issue :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah the theme on here was probably meant to create a unity among all the VEX websites, which use this sort of white theme. I remember when I first went on the old forum, and I was surprised to see that the theme was different from the VEX website theme. However, a dark theme is definitely better, especially for those who stay up until 3AM reading and commenting on posts :slight_smile:
And besides, darker colors save power, right?

Also for Firefox (for those of us “strange” ones): Custom Style Script

You can make your own CSS adjustments that way (I’ve only made a few, keeping with the grey/white).

George!!
It’s that you?
So glad to see some familiar faces around!

While dark theme might be a preference to some, it is not appropriate in all circumstances. A simple search on the web for objective analysis of dark vs light will uncover a large body of evidence that shown black on white (or light gray) background is more readable in most cases. White on black results in the characters producing a “halo effect” that degrades readability. This is why a majority of professional/commercial websites with textual information avoid the dark theme.

Offering a dark theme as a preference (not the default) would be a prudent approach.

I have always preferred a dark blue or dark gray background with wheat colored text on top of it. The wheat mutes down the halo effect.

I forget which blue… #0E0E3E or #191970 or #1C1C7C Been so long…

Back in the days of DOS, we (young engineers) would change our boss’s computer’s screen colors to black on black. Job security??? There was no helpdesk or tech support back then that you could call.

Woah, this is a thread from last year…

Lots of zombie threads lately…