Vex IQ Battery Issue 2nd gen

Our Vex IQ battery is at around 60% charge level (3 green lights). When I plug it in to charge it, it stopped showing a blinking light while it’s charging (2nd gen) When I press the button it shows me that the charge level is 3 green lights but it doesn’t look like it’s charging. I tried multiple cables, outlets as well as plugging it into the computer. Any tips? Competition is next weekend :crazy_face:

This also happened to my team’s 2nd gen battery as well. If you :100:% know that the outlet or the wire isn’t the problem then it is the connection area of the battery. From my experience, I find the part of the 2nd gen battery where you plug in your type c wire to be very weak because that part of the battery was bent into shape to fit there so I would inspect that area and relate it to a perfect 2nd gen battery and report if and if the metal in the port is bent out of place then bend it back in place with needle nose plyers

1 Like

I’v also had this problem, USB C’s can be super inconsistent, however from my expierience just keep searching for a working one.

1 Like

I suspect that it is indeed a problem with the part where it is plugged in to the type c wire as mentioned by @Vex2024 I have tried multiple cables, I don’t think it’s a cable problem. It looks like the 1st gen battery had a charging dock, anybody know whether that would work with a gen 2 battery? I am guessing this would circumvent the problem with the connector on the battery?

No, please do not even attempt this.

If the USB C connector on the battery has been damaged, nothing really you can do to recover this battery.

2 Likes

DO NOT DO THAT. It breaks the battery

Thank you for clarifying. Just trying to trouble shoot and was wondering whether the dock works for both or not. The USB-C connector doesn’t look bent at all and the battery is not that old. Disappointing it stopped working already since the battery alone is $$$ with shipping and there is no damage to the battery connector as far as I can tell.

If it’s under warranty then contact vex support and request an exchange.

2 Likes

I just wanted to update this thread. After trying everything to no available in order to get the battery charging, I waited a few days and tried it again three days later by plugging the battery into an outlet with the charging cable (this hadn’t worked earlier) but all of a sudden the battery started charging again. I am not sure what happened but glad to report it is charging again after all. In case this happens to someone else, it might be worth trying it again after a few days.
I did notice that the battery charge display on the brain flickers back and forth between two numbers often while this battery is in use (like 60% and 65% back and forth on the display) Something might still be wrong with it, but at the moment it seems to be working generally. Thank you for all suggestions and support earlier.

1 Like