Vex IQ Independent IN State Opportunities?

I have a student that I would like to find some other avenues for him to be motivated in robotics. Because of some emotional barrierers he was not selected on the school robotics team. He has shown some true gifts in designing, buidling, and programming in my room when using VEX IQ for enrichment, and I wanted to see if anyone may be able to steer me in a direction where he could participate in VEX IQ formats OTHER than team challenge competitions. Are there other online independent avenues that are available that I could offer him support in trying to get invited to the Indiana State competition specifically. I would love to find a goal for him to work on as an individual with the VexIQ platform. If there are any avenues that can be shared from the forum, I would appreciate it.

Perhaps he could focus on the STEM research project? As I understand it, that is a state- and worlds-qualifying activity, and he could certainly incorporate a VEX IQ build into the project itself.
It would be cool to see a VEX IQ version of a notable science or research robot highlighted in the video submission, which would allow him to flex his designing, building, and programming muscles.

We’ve spun up some “neighborhood” teams to be able to support a two roboteer effort. Single robotters are hard, they need a companion driver, but I have one team where one person designs, builds, programs and the second member just drives.

The low cost of IQ allows for this to be pretty painless. I’m able to supply kits (classroom kit with an extra tray, plastic part booster kit with an extra tray, omni wheels, long axle kit, advanced connector, long beam kits (1x and 2x) and the plastic axle kit to a neighborhood team for them to be able to compete at the same level as the other teams. At the end of the season I get them to take the robot apart, sort the parts back into the tubs and the next years team is ready to go.

2 Likes

And if you set up as a 4-h club, the kids and leader will be covered by insurance and can do additional fundraising for other team expenses if needed. Many states have a 4-H spin (special interest) club format that is very flexible.

2 Likes

What type of extra tray do you include?

1 Like

Another option might be the Robofest competition, which uses any robotics platform, including VEX, and has a very inexpensive field setup made from common things from around the house. The people who organize the program are awesome.
There are a number of individual competitions within the Robofest program including an exhibition category where any student designed project may be entered, a vision based competition, a fully autonomous game that’s new each year, etc. You can attend an existing competition if there is one in your region, or submit a video entry. They make it very easy and inexpensive to set up your own competition as well.

1 Like

The standard IQ tote allows for two of the gray multi-compartment trays in them. I had test flown the HF 24 compartment boxes and found that the parts got mixed up. I also tried two of the 16 compartment ones (they just sit side by side) and it wasn’t a help in keeping things sorted.

The two trays has been the best solution so far. They mean some “digging” around for parts but that doesn’t seem to bother the roboteers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.