Vex Robot - Goal post carrier

The referees at nationals had no problem with you guys lifting the goals, am pretty sure we wouldn’t of told you off for it. The bases and the field are very robust.

Lifting the bases is a really cool evolution of the game. I was very impressed with the goals that Rangi got under the ladder in the weekend. I never imagined it could be done the way you guys did it, great job.

I think the scary bang was due to the way the raised field was set up (with the MDF on top of the aluminium frame), the frame itself was very solid. Besides, the dropping of the bases would be much less damaging to the field than a robot falling from a high hang.

Marty ~ Team aMEss, Massey University, New Zealand

Yeah, Maurice was just joking with us… He did sound a little shocked the first time we did it though! :smiley:

I’m just amazed at how fast they toss their goals inside. We were just about to about abandon the idea of tossing the goals inside the ladder because we weren’t very efficient at it.

Although, counter moves against people that drive into the low goal to descore (Campbell had a very interesting way of descoring last tournament)/obtain the goal like Green Eggs could be to place the movable goals in the corners (It took two 393 motors and a 9:1 ratio to lift a goal off the ground and 8 rubber bands).

This is frightening. I hope they aren’t in our division when we go up to Florida. :eek:

Who did win the mid-atlantic competition? Was it green eggs? or who??? :confused:

Or you hope they are, so that they pick you. :wink:

24A (Super Sonic Sparks) picked 44 (Green Egg Robotics) and 42A (Mostly Harmless) and went on to win the tournament.

24 44 42, funny, eh? :slight_smile:

~Jordan

Ahh, my bad. Thank you. :slight_smile: It is now fixed.

~Jordan

the question is: how come green eggs DIDNT seed #1?
did some people “poppy guard” some bases?
played defense so they couldn’t dump under the ladder?
???
also, congratz Jordan for your win!
cant wait to see you at worlds

I think the problem with Green Egg’s strategy is that in order to (essentially) guarantee a win, they must get all 5 movable weighted bases under the ladder with their tubes on them. However, in every match I watched them in on Saturday, they only got about 3 or 4. This means that other teams who can score and descore faster than Green Egg gain an advantage. I still love their design, but I’m not sure if it is the winning strategy if they can’t get all 5 or at least 4 movable goals consistently under the ladder. Perhaps a good compliment to their design would be a high hanging ally to score some additional points to those guaranteed under the ladder. Just my two cents. Feel free to disagree.

• Adam

Green Egg ended up in ~15th place due to 5 losses. I believe their main problem was mechanical failures. That and the fact that they can’t score on the wall goals. That was why when in the finals they didn’t have failures (Except in one match… but that was when the other alliance got a DQ so it didn’t matter.) and they were paired up with teams who could score on the wall-goals well, they did quite well. However I still think their robot’s strategy is up-to-spec on what it needs to be in order to succeed. With that kind of a strategy you have to do it, and do it well.

~Jordan

P.S. Thank you very much! And I can’t wait to see you there, as well! :slight_smile:

on top of all that, i can see a few teams being able to score/descore the movable bases in the ladder if it was at an optimal location

but still, by worlds i can see them do the wall goals and hang :slight_smile:

I’m not sure about hanging but I think in order for them to be world champions, they would have to score on the wall goals.

Yeah, hanging doesn’t seem to be that important as descoring/scoring. You could easily descore 4 tubes quicker if not as quick as any robot could high hang…

True. However, if there are no tubes easily accessible left on the field (i.e. under the ladder or in a robot), that significantly decreases the amount of teams able to score or descore that quickly. It’s going to depend on the strategy used by the other teams in the match.

Though, personally, our team has decided not to hang, unless we can somehow hang without greatly affecting scoring efficiency (eg.
Team 1103).

you dont need a complicated system to put goals into the ladder
http://justin.tv/bcittelevision/b/281419761
at 33:54 team 1107C places a goal in the ladder

their design is the “typical” claw and they can also score/descore on wall goals
another thing about 1107C, they can grab goals BACK OUT of the ladder…
they only have 3 wire motors and no power expander

this just goes to show how minimal a design can be and STILL accomplish incredible feats

at 33:54 team 1107C places a goal in the ladder

their design is the “typical” claw and they can also score/descore on wall goals
another thing about 1107C, they can grab goals BACK OUT of the ladder…
they only have 3 wire motors and no power expander

this just goes to show how minimal a design can be and STILL accomplish incredible feats

http://justin.tv/bcittelevision/b/281419761*

I remember one qual where they tried to do that four times and I kept nudging them … I’m suprised they could even lift it with the claw

The goal post on that field was all broken and we couldnt pick them up properly.

That must be the field from Gladstone…

Our team is definitely going for picking up goal posts, but we’re avoiding picking up by the lip for a few reasons:

1. Some of the posts fall off of the movable goal. At worlds this’ll probably count as a field error and will be to be replayed OR intentional alteration of field objects

2. You can only pick up posts with 2-3 tubes if you are to pick up the goal by the lip, i think the fourth tube covers up part of the lip.

So we’re going to lift by the base.

Just a quick FYI:

I suspect that very few people refer to the Tips of the posts as the Lips of the posts.
I suspect many people refer to the ridge around the top edge of the Base as the Lip of the Base.

I suspect that you will want to be careful to avoid this ambiguity when describing how your robot works; otherwise expect some confusion among your audience (judges, scouts, allies).

Blake