VEX Scouting App Interest and Suggestions

The point of the scouting app is for users the record data themselves. Data the app can get on its own will come from the VEX database, which only includes scores. When users scout, they will be able to record, cubes scored, number of stacks, etc.

Oh, that’s unfortunate - easily accessible info like that could be really useful.

edit: Now i think about it - I do remember last year at worlds we were able to see what alliances had what flags etc and I assume something similar will happen next year. I’m not really sure if this data is accessible, however. Anyone tried this before?

1 Like

I didn’t attend worlds so I’m not sure what you’re referring to. I imagine it showed up on a screen during the match, in which case it’s probably just displaying data from the refs’ scoring devices and not actually available anywhere else.

I was referring to the VEX Via app that linked to the refs’ live scoring and showed this information:
This gives lots of extra information about the specifics of what was scored. I assume it must be something just for worlds as I haven’t seen these details available for any other competitions, although this would be a great feature. My question was - would it be possible to extract this information to use towards scouting?

2 Likes

Can you send me a screenshot of the website, it seems to be blocked by the Chinese firewall.

1 Like

What about communcating will the scouters have a way to communciate? And when do you expect this app to release.

1 Like

I’ve looked into extracting that information (for other reasons), and it doesn’t look feasible at this point in time. The data isn’t accessible on RobotEvents.com; it is only accessible from within the app. So unless someone can reverse-engineer the app, that data can’t be systematically extracted. (I’ve tried monitoring the app’s HTTP requests to figure out how to scrape the data, but it looks like they’re all encrypted.)

The match breakdowns are a pretty new feature, so RobotEvents integration might be in the works. If that’s the case, the data will probably find it’s way onto VexDB, where it can be easily scraped by the app.

3 Likes

I wish the vex match data was as easily accessible as the FRC data was.

5 Likes

That’s something you can email vex robotics for.

Here are some pictures for others who have similar issues:

2 Likes

I don’t have plans to implement communication for scouts, as that can be easily achieved through text or some other third party app and would probably be too clunky on any webapp I make.

I’m honestly not too sure how long it’ll take me, so I really can’t give you a straight answer. Being a senior, I’m kind of swamped at the moment, but once school starts, I think I may be able to put in more time. We’ll have to see, though.

+200

3 Likes

FYI, score breakdowns like this should now be visible for Tower Takeover events in VEX via.

6 Likes

Admittedly this was a fair while ago and things might have changed, but I had no trouble reverse-engineering the requests almost immediately after I had set up my monitoring proxy.

4 Likes

Sigh. It’s disappointing to see you say this.

The VEX via API isn’t public, and we don’t authorize anyone to access it outside of the VEX via app. RobotEvents provides APIs for that purpose.

1 Like

I understand that. This is why I never publicized my finding until now, and I still haven’t shared any meaningful details about the API.

If you really want to discourage people from using the VEX Via API, though, you should if at all possible get the Robot Events team to implement a much more usable API, akin to the one provided by VexDB, rather than requiring data scraping.

4 Likes

What APIs does RobotEvents provide?

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I shouldn’t have used the term “API” as that’s not really correct. However, RobotEvents provides access to download .CSV files for event results. I’m fairly certain this is what vexdb.io is using, and in that case it suggests accessing it programmatically is acceptable (since they haven’t cut off vexdb.io).

Regardless, accessing the VEX via servers isn’t permitted.

@Wes8, you seem to be practically bragging about your intention to do something that we’ve explicitly asked you not to. Maybe you should re-read the Code of Conduct and rethink your position.

4 Likes

I concur. Software Engineer with a focus in cyber here. It’s really in bad taste and practice to openly admit you’re trying to circumvent or access things you’re not supposed to access.

4 Likes

I second (or third) the notion. Although I’m pretty sure @Wes8 is doing it with good intentions, there are better ways.
We could petition the gdc(or who/whatever is in charge of this stuff).
If you’re good enough to hack em, then maybe you could develop an authorized access point(idk, is it an access point?) which could be used to extract info.
At the very least, ask permission before scraping info off of the internet.

1 Like