Vex Sensors For Tipping Point

My Team has a robot that can pick up 2 goals, drive on platform, and place goals on platform.

We want to take our robot to the next level by adding sensors to make our autonomous and auto skills work better and be more consistent.

We have a variety of sensors but don’t really know what to use. What sensor types are your team using or other teams using? And how are you using them?

1 Like

inertial, vision, potentiometers, and limit switches

1 Like

My team uses distance sensors to automate mogo pick up and encoders to determine the robot’s global position. We also use the built-in current detection to determine if there’s a ring intake jam to automate an antijam procedure. We also use buttons to auto home the fourbar and fork in the event that we need to restart the program mid match.

3 Likes

My team is using V5 Rotation Sensor to track how far our robot has traveled and position using odometry. Using V5 Inertial Sensor to track to the robot acceleration when moving, heading and pith when going up the Platform. Using limits switch to activate our pneumatic clamps when there in our lifts. Most of this use for autonomous. But some and be use for driver controls.

So programmer advice, all sensor (included the one implemented into the V5 Smart Motors) has the capability to do something on your robot, no matter how big or small your robot is. You just have to think how can you use that Sensor on your robot.

I believe the more added Sensor you add. The more accurate your code and robot will be.

2 Likes

Inertial sensor for turn PID during auto and prog. skills.
Potentiometers for lift position PID.
(technically:) wheel encoders integrated into the motor as part of odometry
vision sensor to line up with MOGO’s during auto

1 Like

My team uses Encoders (for tracking wheels for PID),
Rotation Sensors on all of our mechanisms,
Inertial for turning,
and GPS for skills.

We also might add a limit switch for the down position on our lift in the future.

1 Like

We use a initial sensor for a P-loop turning, two limit switches one for back and one for front lift, a set of line trackers(4) to detect the field lines, two ultrasonics to detect both the platform and the mogos and we use a optical to detect far/close and color of the mogo

But in no way do you need this many sensors(we went a little overkill).