I really like this product - it is perfect for demo-bots I use for class but don’t want to tie up an expensive controller on. Also handy to have in the toolbox for quickly testing servos & motors.
A suggestion for future consideration:
Integrate the radio module/crystal holder right into the splitter case. That would allow for much smaller robots since that would eliminate the receiver and associated cable. The only downside would be that you can’t mount the antenna far from the motors, but clearly this module is aimed at small & simple robots.
Also, next time you rev the case for the receiver module, consider having the antenna wire come out through a hole large enough for the antenna tube. That way, you could just mount the receiver module with the wire pointed up, and slide the antenna tube right over the wire and into the receiver module. You could still use the grey tube mount instead, if the robot layout needed it, so this wouldn’t negatively effect current configurations. This suggestion goes for any future product with a wire-antenna.
Thanks for the recent stream of new products - keep up the great work!
Mine also died a smoking, smelly death after only a few minutes of operation. When I first tried it, it acted jittery, as described by Quazar in another post. I opened it to take some pictures and explore its innards and found bad solder connections. The output from the voltage regulator was about 3.2 volts.
I fixed the bad solder joints and put it all back together. It worked (sort of; i.e. still jittery) for a few minutes and then started smoking. The area around the voltage regulator had turned to charcoal and it had melted through the plastic case.
Since I had been poking around inside it, I figured that I had caused the failure somehow, but the bad solder connections, the low regulator output, and the reports of other people with jittery operation and burned circuits makes me think that it wasn’t my fault.
I bought another splitter and it has worked fine so far.