VEX SolidWorks Library

You can just open inventor parts in solidworks and it will convert them to solidworks format

Here is an example image from SolidWorks of my team’s robot that I am currently working on, I’ve spent about 2 hours so far on it.

Solidworks can also do very good renders of assemblies.

Here is an example of an old design I was working on for a gearbox which I decided to render. I didn’t really know what I was doing hence the bad appearance of the motors and messed up shadows.

Also when importing from inventor I lost all material properties so I had to set all the colors and reflection amounts myself, but that’s really easy in SolidWorks as the properties are all ready defined in a list for you.

I actually find SolidWorks easier to use than Inventor with it’s mating, however, iMates don’t really exist in SolidWorks so there is a library of some parts with extra circles cut into the square holes so it forms a curved surface that can be mated to, which makes the mates really easy. I also started to do this to parts that

There is still a lot I need to learn but after trying to use Inventor, SolidWorks is very easy in my opinion.

The “official” drawing for every vex part is found on the www.vexrobotics.com site, in the products catalog. For each part page, there is a “tab” that has downloads of the parts in .step format (which is a universal CAD interchange that any parametric CAD software can open and convert to its native format). All other libraries, such as the parts available on 3d content central, would be considered unofficial.

Thanks. I was hoping they weren’t too different.

Awesome image, especially for having worked on it for only a couple of hours. Thanks for providing an example.

Okay, that makes sense. And thanks for providing links to those other files, too. Much appreciated!

Do the step parts come with material data such as density and weight?

No, .step files contain only math data. But after converting the file into the native format for your particular CAD package, you can apply the properties.

Yeah I thought so, I’ve just been applying color and material data for when I get around to rendering

the linear slide kit isnt up-to-date. now there is one metal part, and two plastic parts. one for the outside and one for the inside of the metal part. just figured id say that. if you can release the solidworks model of those parts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s a quick conversion of the .step files to SW2017. I don’t have time to do much more than this at the moment.
276-1926-001 Rev1.zip (3.93 MB)

Here’s a link to the parts library I authored. I’m out of vex now and haven’t touched it in ages. See what you can do with it.

[https://vexforum.com/t/release-solidworks-parts-library/35443/1)