Vex Spin Up Endgame Expansion | 67101C

Our Spin Up endgame expansion. Our expansion is powered by 2 cylinders, and it scores points in the 70 to 80 range. This particular test scored 75 points. Feel free to ask any question or provide feedback.

58 Likes

I’ve been wanting to ask this for a long time: How do you put all that string back? Is it all manually just tied back around or do you pull it back with motors or something?

2 Likes

use one color of string (not blue or red) it will help the referees score quicker :slight_smile:

9 Likes

It’s manual. We wrap it around 2 standoff and then slide the string off one of the standoff to form a coil. It sucks and takes about 5 minutes for my team to reset it.

This was originally our team’s plan, however, the nets sometimes get tied up in each other. Since all the string was one color, I couldn’t tell what connect to what. Took about 25 minutes to untangle the knot. Now it is not as much of a mess when it gets tangled.

17 Likes

You could always make a quick swap version and make about 6, so you always have 2 ready to go, and rewrap them at the pits.
Cool mechanism though.

5 Likes

We already have it quick swap. Will help for tournaments, but it still sucks for practice.

11 Likes

This is just… good. There’s no other way to put it. I’d love to do something like this but I don’t like hole counting so I’d want to design everything myself, plus we don’t have the space unless we shove it in the back somewhere. String dropper is much more space efficient. Is that powered by 2 pistons? That’s what it’s looking like for me.

2 Likes

How does the string release from the launcher?

1 Like

Only 2 cylinders.

Rubber bands. Probably do an explanation video later.

14 Likes

Like what function does the cylinder play in releasing the rubber band?

1 Like

How many diffrent launchers are there?

3 Likes

we are hoping to release an explanation video later in the season. don’t want to give away all our secrets just yet.

12 Likes

we have 5 launchers.

10 Likes

it serves as a latch function, holding back the elastic force until endgame.

hope this helps.

19 Likes

So it seems to be designed to only fire correctly on that specific roller/area. What are you going to do if you are not there or unable to fire from that exact area? Also what is on the ends of each string?

the launchers are in two different systems. we can choose to only launch half of it. if we only lunch the bottom half, then we won’t have to worry about going out of the field.

3 Likes

In addition to having 2 subsystems, we can also fire from the roller on other side of the field. And from the two actual corners of the field where the rollers are without leaving the field.

1 Like

I would not be a happy ref if I had to score the points for you guys at lease ten times during a tournament.

9 Likes

EPs are fuming right now.

14 Likes

I think the GDC foresaw string shooters as an endgame mechanism but didn’t anticipate how far teams would push them and how much string teams would shoot (which is a fault of the GDC, given the opportunity, the community will always try to find a way to push the game to its absolute limits).

21 Likes