VEX Tower Takeover Minimum Competitive Concept

That C-Channel starts in a diagonal position and so would likely fit (with the intake) inside a 18" cube. The diagonal length available for a robot (at the start) > 18".

1 Like

are you sure because it is already elevated in the start

I’m not sure where you are seeing this - the first image of 1961Z’s design has the 35 long channel at a diagonal and this seems to be the way they intake cubes also - so at the start it would be like this within 18".

see the 35 hole long is exactly 18 inches, and it would be fine if it was touching the ground, it would be fine. But in the image you can see that it is raised from the ground making it exceed the limit

Which image exactly are you referring to? (btw this is not my design)
Maybe this is a rule misunderstanding but this game you only need to be within 18 at the start.

463fdafc00f4f4766f8ee82b37511eee2ae3db38

I hope that image makes sense. it would be fine if it was touching the ground

The 18" channel is 4" off the ground (the height of the wheel), therefore the channel needs to fit into
18" - 4" = 14"of the remaining height limit
The bast is 25 holes long = 12.5"
This is gives us a right angle triangle, using pythagoras we get a result for the hypotenuse (the 35 channel) at 18.8". This is greater than the length of the c-channel and so an 18" channel would be able to fit. Hopefully this makes sense.

6 Likes

Ah I understand now. Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like

That would be my fault in not informing what position the 1961Z robot should start in, but yes everything will fit in size when the tray / intake setup is tilted back.

thank you again for the clarification

This is some really great info. Thanks for putting it together. I am curious as to exactly how you put together the 3D models. What program(s) did you use? Where could I learn more about doing the same?

Also, I would be interested to know how the models fit into your design process. Do you design using physical parts and then put the model together for instruction purposes, or is it faster to put the model together and adjust then move to physical parts? (Or something else)

2 Likes

Based on the background in the pictures and from experience, I am going to guess they used Autodesk Inventor to model the robots. You can download it here for free with an educational license. The program may be hard at first, but with the proper library and little practice, you should be able to CAD it pretty quickly. To learn how to CAD the parts, I suggest checking Dakota Bayers videos. This is a playlist of his videos to learn the basics. But don’t forget there is always the forum if you need any help.

Here is a common CAD library that the community uses.

7 Likes

After doing game analysis and coming up with a general design, we start to work on CAD. We CAD first instead of building for several reasons. For one, you don’t have to cut any parts, which saves time and money. In addition, once you improve with the software, you can CAD much faster than you could build, although this may change if you have a more sluggish computer. Cadding also means that you dont have to have parts on hand to prototype or design, which is very useful for many teams. You will also tend to make iterations more quickly as you don’t generally have to disassemble things, which results in a robot that is much more polished and consistent. Team 6007R and I both used Autodesk Inventor, which is the program I would recommend for most people. However, some people have better luck running Fusion 360, so make sure to consider that. 1961Z used 3D Builder, but I would advise against this program because it generally takes longer to do certain tasks, and is rarely used in industry, unlike the other 2 programs mentioned. The two libraries we used for the cadding were the Sigbots Library and the modified BNS library. Check SIGbots first, as it doesnt use imates on many parts. These iMates are much harder on the computer than basic constraints, and after putting together a full robot it adds up and can cause the program to crash. However, if the Sigbots library doesnt have a part you need, say v5 motors, then you can use the BNS Library. To start using CAD, I would recommend starting doing parts first, as it is more common and is necessary to do CAD outside of VEX. It will also allow you to use lexan pieces in your design. After you feel comfortable making fairly complex parts, then I would recommend moving on to assemblies, where you make the actual robot. The constraints necessary on vex robots are very simple and common, so this shouldnt be hard to learn. There are many great resources online to start learning CAD, and their may even be a class at your school where cadding is part of the curriculum.

8 Likes

As carter said the SIGbots library is a great thing to use when putting together a large assembly. Even a good computer dislikes imates, the axis on the SIGbots lib is much easier to use. I would start with creating parts and learning how to read technical drawings then converting the drawings to parts in your cad software of choice.

2 Likes

when start, the robotics is put on the color place ?

The starting position this year is not on the colored tile, but those must still be on the field to have a complete set. Instead, a robot must meet the conditions described in SG1 to start legally.
Starting a Match. Prior to the start of each Match, the Robot must be placed such that it is:

1. Contacting the field perimeter wall on the side that coincides with their Alliance’s Goal Zone and
    Alliance Station.
  2. Contacting a foam field tile.
  3. Not contacting a Tower.
  4. Not contacting any Cubes other than the Preload.
  5. Contacting a Preload.
    a. The Preload must be contacting exactly one (1) Robot.
    b. The Preload must be fully within the field perimeter.
  6. Not contacting a Goal Zone or a Barrier.
  7. Not contacting another Robot.
3 Likes

Just a small note for the SIGbots library. Most, if not all, of the C-channels have their holes misaligned. Wish I could get a picture but I don’t have my computer right now. Might get one later if requested. This problem was mention on the Vex Discord but I am unaware if the library has been fixed yet.

I have had a hard time downloading Fusion 360. Even for the free trial. Is it true that it’s free for vex teams. Since it had some information about that. Also does the parts library include every part?

1 Like

All the commercial CAD packages are free for education use. Autodesk programs have a direct download of the education versions, while Solidworks requires the team Mentor to apply for a free grant. This document has includes links to the various software download pages and to current libraries of parts for the various software packages: CAD for VEX Robotics (2).pdf (82.2 KB)

1 Like