VEX Trophy

Are the VEX trophies legal part for the robots? It seems like they would be, but it doesn’t hurt to make sure. I ask because one of our team members had the question and thinks it would be cool to put one on the robot i guess. Thanks!

Please note that my word is in no way official, but is based on the Vex Gateway game manual.

It’s not legal to use trophies on the robot. They are considered non-robot parts which are referred to in <R5> of the Gateway manual. Specifically Part B:

<R7> Robots are allowed the following additional “non-VEX” components:
d. Teams may add non-functional decorations provided that these do not affect the robot
performance in any significant way or affect the outcome of the match. These decorations must be in the spirit of the competition. Inspectors will have final say in what is considered “non- functional”.

As long as the referees agree that it is a non-functional component and it is not used to the robot’s advantage in any way, you probably would be able to use a trophy strictly as a decoration. This is also not an official response but it’s what I get from the situation.

Yeah, you could probably use one as a decoration, but honestly, they are pretty heavy and would most likely cause a decrease in performance of your drive train. I certainly wouldn’t waste the weight on a trophy.

If I was inspecting the robot, I would deem this decrease in performance a functional result caused by a (logically follows) functional component. The fact that it is a negative impact does not change its obvious functionality.

lol, maybe extra weight was the point? :wink:

I would be seriously impressed if someone built a robot that could non-functionally display a trophy and still have room to fit game-playing mechanisms.

Hmmm. This is true. So basically, it’s not allowed regardless of intentions.

I don’t know about using a trophy on a robot, but these “cheese graters” are multipurpose.
In our house they have served in dozens of roles, ranging from chopstick holders to fruit bowls to most excellent door stops.
This is the latest use.
PICT0098.JPG

VEX products do have many uses around the house (I’ve never thought of a keychain holder, thanks). The ladder from Round-Up actually makes a great clothes hanger/dryer. We need to start a VEX parts re-purposing website.

EDIT: That’s jewelry, sorry, they looked like key chains to me.

:slight_smile:

specifically - dangles for pierced ears.

You aren’t allowed to use trophies to build your robot? Rats!

I’d say that it falls under the ruling quoted earlier about non-robot products. I assume you’ve asked an official Q&A on the topic to get a ruling?

On a related note, a friend/teammate made herself these a few years back

if i ever win a red one ill find a way :smiley: haha

What we could do is use it as an FRC mini bot.