Vex Worlds Static Spray

I’d like to request that at worlds the fields not be coated with anti static spray. Last year at US Open and worlds, pushing stars was very difficult because there was so much spray on the fields it increased friction markedly. If more spray is put on the field this year, it will make pushing mobile goals and cones much more difficult. It would also make mobile goal hoarders impossible because dragging mobile goals on an extremely high friction surface is much more difficult. It only seems fair that teams should be given identical fields to the ones they’ve been practicing on all year. Thoughts?

I understand what you’re saying, and I think that the best option would be for Vex to market the spray they use (If they do, please share a link), rather than not spray at all.

If they do not use the anti-static spray, the static given off due to the nature of the foam tiles is insane – hence the hundreds, if not thousands, of times you’ve been shocked throughout the season. This small charge can seriously mess up IME’s which are prone to static interference, as well as the cortex which can be caused to malfunction because of static.

Getting rid of anti-static spray may solve one problem, but it opens many more, and ones that are less in your control. You may know your motors brownout, so you redesign. But you cannot possibly know when your robot will short-out, and you can’t solve that issue.

Besides the level of practicality the spray offers, it also allows for a more significant challenge, which is what robotics is all about. Robotics is troubleshooting on the spot, and my team did it last year when we attended worlds. The spray caused enough friction, so our motors browned out, but we worked through the issue and rebuilt our robot in the hotel conference room. And that night rebuilding the robot was one of the best in my life.

It has already been announced that anti-static spray will be used on all fields. Probably not going to change as they know the issues it causes with increased friction. So best advice is practice with the spray on your fields and build better robots.

I don’t think that the anti-static spray has anything to do with how good your robot is… I think the point that @JamesIsAmazing is trying to make is that it could potentially prevent certain types of play. Also from what I have heard the anti static spray gets a bit messy so practicing on feilds with the anti-static spray could get annoying to deal with.

I completely agree <3

So build better robots - QCC2 dealt with fields that were annoying by improving their robot and winning Worlds.

Anti-static spray was not very problematic at Worlds last season. Though, I definitely did notice it was harder to bunch stars into bigger dumps, something I had practiced all season, it’s something you have to adapt to. I’d rather a consistent factor than the near-randomness of static. For most robots, which do not rely on pushing, there will be no difference.

Spray isn’t the only issue, I’m sure World’s teams remember Toss Up and the pumped up large beach balls? They were legal and a nuisance, but it taught us to be prepared for the next year.

Last year we bought some of the spray Vex uses (it’s in a thread somewhere or I’ll link it this weekend (out of town). It helped us a lot in practicing dragging stars, big difference. I really think those teams that are dragging mogos around better practice with it, or they may be in for a big surprise. Yes, it is messy, it really seems like it melts a small thickness of the mats, I don’t know. But it is tacky for sure.

The solution to issues like this shouldn’t be to just “get better” or “deal with it”. The challenges that teams should face should be in stacking cones and figuring out how to beat other alliances, not to try and adjust for field issues. People are right when they say that the best teams are the ones who are able work around these types of issues, but no team should be forced to change their design strategy at worlds. The best solution would be to find a different type of anti-static spray that does not leave a sticky residue, find a field surface material that does not generate as much static, or design better VEX products that can be used in the situations they are designed to be used in.

I agree… well said.

The specifications for anti-static spray are known. Teams who depend on field interaction will research this. Much as teams will research the variance between the tiles used to make sure they know what the current manufacturing specs are if their robot design needs it. That is what good teams do. So build better robots and adapt to the competition environment and you will do fine.

All fine and good if the application process is consistent. Some events state they’re doing it and others will surprise you with a last minute decision to spray too much without leaving adequate drying time.

@wesbass23 is correct to point out this isn’t a problem teams should be expected to deal with. Foam tiles can be manufactured with conductive additives making them static dissipative. It does cost more however and that’s where the problem is.

If this is an issue that occurs every year at Worlds, then it is an issue teams have to deal with. Teams that win at Worlds tend to adapt - certainly if you look at QCC2 during Skyrise - they have adapted to the field conditions that were not in their favor and the GDC pretty much told them they are expected to adapt.

So my perspective is looking at teams that have won multiple times at Worlds and asked would they have won if they had not had designs that worked well in lots of environments and their ability to adapt their design to the competition conditions that day.

But, I am not a competitor, nor have ever had one of my teams win at Worlds. My teams did adjust to the fields last year - that’s what engineering is about.

But it feels a bit different with this years game as it could stop certain strategies for robots… it will most likely completely rid of mobile goal hoarders and cage bots which is what I have a problem with, I dont want to watch worlds if every single robot looks the same and there is no variety in robot design.

And thats something that teams should have planned for since the beginning of the year, if you want to compete at certain levels, you have to adapt
(Just my opinion)

You are fighting an uphill battle at hit point, honestly. The IME’s pop with static, it’s a design issue, but it is what it is. Maybe once V5 picks up they won’t do it anymore, but be ready for it for the next few years. Be pragmatic, get the spray and try it. Some years it doesn’t matter. We didn’t do it in prep for NBN World’s and it wasn’t a big deal, we were able to go undefeated in world quals with that preparation. However, we knew it would affect dragging stars around in Starstruck so we bought it and practiced with it for weeks. We were fortunate again to go undefeated in World Quals with that different approach. Have to adapt, this year I think it will matter.

Better yet, have someone on the forum apply it and test mogo’s and let everyone know how it works. It’s hard to imagine this hasn’t come up on discord, maybe they’ve already tried it?

I highly doubt team 62 a will bring a rd4b to worlds. With that said, mobile goal hoarders will unfortunately have to adjust to the static spray.

Either that or build stronger drive trains

We have always used Static Guard Spray and recently found that Wal-Mart has a generic version. We used it at our tournament last week and it performed the same as Static Guard. Here is the link if anyone is interested. We just spray a light coat over the entire field a few times during the day. In the past two years, we have not experienced the “friction” issue that they had at US Open and Worlds last year.

I believe this is the exact spray used at Worlds, someone correct me if I’m wrong.