VEXcode Preview

Thanks! It is a fairly common use case for a laptop to be shared by multiple teams, user switching on the laptop means it can be passed from team to team during a robotics session.

Unfortunately, sounds like a lightweight resource server is probably needed to manage the connections to the hardware on the laptop. Had to face that a long time ago when developing a personalized news system where many grad students all wanted access to the AP wires.

How do you make of copy of your own competition code (so that we can make another version) without having to copy, open new template, paste? Is there an easier way to do this without having to do main & robot-config in that manner? In other words, is there a “Save as” button? Also, is there a way to open one file & do a split screen & open a second file so that the 2 codes can be compared? Thank you. :kissing_heart:

You can open 2 or more files at a time. Just hit the home button in the top left then in the bottom right of the popup window there should be 2 overlapping rectangles that should say something like open new project window. Click that and you now have 2 separate vexcode instances. From there just use the home menu to open whatever files you would like

Thanks soo… much. Now, is there a way to do a “Save As” so that we can make a copy of the original file that we can test things out with, without messing up the original file…in other words, a different version? We ended up copying & pasting but we had to change the hex.h to robot-config.h also. More chances of messing things up. Would like one easy step like “Save As”… is this possible? Thanks.

A “Save a Copy” feature would probably be useful too.
However, look into using git/github with your project, it is a much better way to manage backups.
Also, you could make a duplicate of your project folder or even zip it up into a date-stamped backup file.

VEXcode Preview_03 is now available! It includes some bug fixes along with a few other optimizations.

Just like last time, please use the links below to download the new update:
PC - https://link.vex.com/vexcode-preview-pc
Mac - https://link.vex.com/vexcode-preview-mac

Thanks again for all the great feedback thus far. Please continue to provide us with any comments / questions / concerns below!

The full patch notes for Preview_03 are as follows:
:black_small_square: Added alert when the build fails, and output tab is not open
:black_small_square: Added alert if the VEXcode is left running in another user account on the same machine
:black_small_square: Added fix for make failing after multiple builds
:black_small_square: Added ability to filter error, warning and info in problems tab
:black_small_square: Added fix for the issue with right-click on the directory collapsing/expanding on Windows
:black_small_square: Added Undo/Redo for Vision configuration editor
:black_small_square: Minor bug fixes and dark theme in vision utility
:black_small_square: Added new custom title bar for windows to match UI look and feel
:black_small_square: Added alert for users if there are unsaved changed when clicking build and “Save on build” in settings is disabled
:black_small_square: Added ability to add special characters in project description
:black_small_square: Fixed the issue with Terminal stops logging after it reaches the 32000 lines limit.
:black_small_square: Program Type on V5 Brain for VEXcode programs will now show as “VEXcode”

11 Likes

Not a problem. Another cool feature that you may want to explore is adding more includes files. Do this by right clicking the includes header in the left sidebar then hit add file then in the bottom right of the popup window type in FileName.h and you are good to go. Just remember to actually include it in a file

1 Like

Thank you. Still learning how to maneuver thru VEX Code.

I think we all are, what I know is from the 24hr code-a-thon I did this weekend where I rewrote my master file and figured out vexcode.

Who else here is using VEXcode at Worlds?

4 Likes

unix build for platform vexv5 make: Nothing to be done for all. [info]: build completed!
The bug is back! When I change code in a header file (but not in main.cpp) it doesn’t try to compile the new code, and I have to make a small change to main.cpp for it to even try.

Code generally should not be in .h files. The make should be looking for c/c++ source files.

So not a bug, but a use case issue.

It all depends on where the header file is. The default makefile looks in the src folder for .c and .cpp files, it also looks for those files in one additional level of folder inside src. It considers header files in the include folder only, if you have deviated from this structure the project may not build correctly, it’s up to you to modify the build files accordingly.

1 Like

What is the planned support for custom electronics for v5. I am interested in using vexcode but as vexu I also want to try custom electronics. Will there be a way to connect a smart port to an Arduino and communicate with vexcode

You can already use VEXcode (and VCS) to interface to custom electronics using a smart port as a generic serial RS485 port. There’s only a C API at the moment, and little documentation, we will probably add a C++ API before next season.
Contact me for more details and I can provide some sample code.

3 Likes

do you know if it is possible to upload the pros libraries to vexcode so that we could use 2d motion profiling in vexcode

If you want the PROS libraries, why not just use PROS?

If it’s the VEXcode editor that you like, then just use PROS with the Visual Studio Code IDE.

2 Likes

but why

1 Like

If you want PROS, use Visual Studios

1 Like

It’s possible if you know what you are doing.
All user programs, and PROS is really just a different type of user program, are built on the same base SDK. I showed a simple graphical representation of that in this post.

but, as others have said, if you really want the PROS API then use PROS. If you just want the 2d motion profiling then you could port that part over, it’s all open source.

4 Likes