Video: How to program autonomous in Easy C v4

I made a video on how to do autonomous in Easy C I have to say that my enthusiasm is a bit much but nonetheless it was worth posting for the teams that doesn’t know how to do autonomous because I have seen way too many teams without an autonomous that costed them the match but anyways here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ9Ym04C1Dk

Very good! :slight_smile: Now nobody has any excuses for not having an autonomous. Though I bet I still hear some excuses come this Fall. :rolleyes:

hey! thank-you as a adult mentor who is computer illiterate you put it in a form that I could follow. seems as if I get hung up on the simple stuff!! Thanks again!

Sadly this will be true at the lower levle compotions.:rolleyes:

OK so first off, I would like to say that this is a very helpful video for new users. If I had something like this at the start, my life would have been very different. However, I didn’t have this and had to find my own way. I figured I’d share this way here though because it might be a bit easier than User Functions once you get down to programming with Shaft Encoders and Integrated Motor Encoders.

So what I discovered was the “Smart Tasks” drop down menu. I avidly avoided it at first but eventually tested it out and realized how awesome it is.

It works rather simply. You drag the “Define Motors” block to the top of your program. A window pops up and you input the motors that you will have on your drive (Note: you need to make sure you still invert the two correct motors as mentioned in the video). Once you have the define motors block, you can use any of the drive functions in the “Smart Tasks” menu to drive your robot. You have forward, backwards, swing turning, and center turning.

For those of you who may be reading this and don’t know the difference between swing and center turning, swing turning is for robots who have something like two omni wheels and two of friction wheels. Your robot does not turn from the center. Center turning is when your wheel configuration has omni wheels at the four corners.Your robot actually turns from the center of the base.

Now I wanted to post this here for several reasons. One, the functions that come in the “Smart Tasks” menu only require you to input your motors once.

Two, there are two options for how you can input the running time within the code. If you want say 2 seconds of driving, you can put the “Drive” function, then a “Wait” and put 2000 in the box, then a “Stop Motors” function after. However, the true value of this drop down menu for me is the elimination of the “Wait” block entirely.

If you go to… shoot it’s been 6 months since I’ve looked at this so forgive me for not knowing the exact name. I believe the block is called something like “Drive Forward- Time” (I know that’s wrong looking at it but I can’t remember the exact name). Anyways, if you find that block, all you have to do is type the time you want to drive in the window that pops up. You don’t need a “Wait” and I’m pretty sure you no longer need a “Stop” either. It simplifies the code which is very helpful later down the line.

Three, coding with Shaft Encoders and Integrated Motor Encoders is way easier with these blocks. The first thing you need to do is define your sensor at the beginning of the code. You need to assign it a port number on your Cortex. Once you’ve done that, you use one of the other blocks in the “Smart Tasks” menu called something like “Drive Forward- Distance” (Again not sure on the exact name so… sorry about it). In this, all you do is input the distance you want your robot to go. You input the number of the sensor you want to measure the time (so a Shaft or Motor Encoder) and you no longer have to screw with guessing times and such. You can measure it out and, in the ideal world, you can just input the distance and get it right the first time. Huzzah.

This “Smart Tasks” menu only works for driving your robot though. The OP’s video will save you ridiculous amounts of time when it comes to your intakes and lifts. I wish I had known about that during our season and I would strongly advise using his method in some way, shape, or form to drive your lifts and intakes.

Cheers