Vision sensor for pitching in?

Has anybody tried the vision sensor for the autonomous portion?

1 Like

Personally, I have not tried it because they’re expensive so I couldn’t get one. Here’s a video of someone else using it though:

I don’t know how well it works in auton, and I look forward to what other people have to say.

5 Likes

for some reason our vision sensor never worked

1 Like

I think the vision sensor might well work for the yellow balls, but probably not to align with the high goal.
@Hao_16688C what was the problem with the sensor? did you try with solid objetcs?

1 Like

The vision sensor can lock onto almost anything, as it uses color to do so. As long as it can find a color, it will. My suggestion would be the pink and green pieces found on the sides of the tower. You know the size, color, and shape of them, and then all you need to do is set some distances.

@Hao_16688C The vision sensor is the most difficult to use sensor vexiq has ever seen. It took a while for my VRC team to get it right. The vision utility is your best friend when setting it up.

2 Likes

315K used the color sensor to track balls in change up I think it can also be done with the iq game.

we tried to use the vision sensor to detect pitching in balls in the indexing area for the flywheel bot but it never connected to vexcode IQ. I ended up using a IQ color sensor

2 Likes

Since I’ve never used a vision sensor, I know don’t know how effective it would be in comparison, but I’ve found that using two color sensors pointing at each other to form a sort of beam break sensor is an extremely effective way to detect an object (like a ball or a catapult arm). Although one single sensor does work, using the white LED from the other one makes it work significantly better, especially in varying light conditions. I know this was a little off-topic, but I thought it would be useful for anyone having trouble with a vision sensor (or who don’t have one).

I hope you get your vision sensor to work.

5 Likes

Lots of teams were able to successfully use the vision sensor to detect the change up balls! I think the biggest issue you would have for detecting the pitching in balls is the distance between the ball and the sensor. The vision sensor would work well for detecting an object inside of a VRC robot, but for VexIQ where the spaces are tighter, it just isn’t feasible. As for it not connecting, that feels like a different issue entirely. Were you ever able to connect to it with the Vision Utility?

2 Likes