Vision Utility Installation (Linux - Fedora)

Our team is looking into using a vision sensor this year. However, as the programmer, Fedora Linux is installed on my laptop. I’ve read the pros documentation on installing the vision utility, but to get it to “work” on Fedora, I had to install the following packages instead of those listed:

• zlib.i686
  • Added /usr/lib/libnss3.so /usr/lib/libmime3.so /usr/lib/libssl3.so manually due to a conflict :nauseated_face:
  • nss-util.i686
  • nss-softokn.i686
  • libXScrnSaver-devel.i686
  • libXtst.i686
  • atk.i686
  • at-spi2-atk.i686
  • gtk3-devel.i686

I was hopeful that the program would function under WINE 7.22 but the the device was not detected:

Theoretically, it could be possible to fix this if the vision sensor communicates using plain serial only. Is this the case?

I have checked out Robot Mesh Studio but it appears to be Ubuntu only.
My laptop is too under-powered to run a windows VM.
I will probably need to calibrate the sensor’s signatures for each competition’s lighting conditions, so using someone else’s Windows computer is not viable.

Now, I’m somewhat frustrated in getting this to work (nicely in the proper way). Especially with WINE, as it looks so close. Is there a good way to do this or am I stuck?

No, it’s not serial communication, it’s a vendor specific USB protocol.

you may need some udev rules to allow USB to be seen by Linux, but I have no idea if it would run under wine. We have an experimental browser based solution that may get released at some point.

7 Likes