Vortex Alliance Robot in 3 Days Reveal

Hey guys!

Some members of Vortex came together from June 7th to June 9th to create our own robot in 3 days. We wanted to be very original with our design and I truly believe we were able to accomplish that successfully. We hope that this robot can help influence teams with the route they decide to take in Tower Takeover and if you have any questions about the bot, we would be happy to answer them!

Robot Reveal:

Robot Specs:
-4m 5:3 200 RPM chassis with 3.25" omni wheels
-1m 1:5 600 RPM cascade lift
-1m 1:5 200 RPM chain bar lift
-Pneumatics (5 pistons used: 2 on the front cube intake, 1 on the back cube intake, and 2 on the cube “barn door” opener/closer)

Thanks again and good luck to all this season!
Nolan, EKSDE1

16 Likes

Just when I think I’m getting good at vex and then this video comes out…

7 Likes

I love this idea. The fact that this was built in 3 days makes it that much more impressive. Great work!

3 Likes

nice! similar to my design, but twice as good.

1 Like

Nice work! This is the best Ri3D robot so far, by a long shot!! Thanks, and good luck!

2 Likes

No, the 448x Ri3D was the best so far.

2 Likes

:disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

You guys had practically the same robot design. Yours was just as good.

1 Like

Twice as good…

3 Likes

Nope, all you guys are wrong.
Vex’s ri8w (robot in 8 weeks) was the best…

5 Likes

Nope, all you guys are wrong.
RiAW (Robot idea After worlds) was the best…

9 Likes

You had a wonderful design as well, it might as well be one of this season’s metas!

4 Likes

This is such a cool design concept, thanks for making this!!

How many cubes can it stack in each column? And what was the hardest part?

Stay awesome!

2 Likes

Can it pick up only one cube (for whatever reason)? Can it stack on top of pre-made stacks?

I totally love the opening cage. That’s circulating around the SCA as one of our basic design points for reasons highlighted in this video.

2 Likes

We wanted to try something different than what had already been done. So while our robot may not be as competition ready, we got to try out a bunch of newer concepts we want to incorporate into future robots.

3 Likes

Hey Ben, thanks for the kind words!

Currently, it can stack 2 stacks of 6 cubes (12 cubes total) at its full capacity. It did have a capacity of 8 cubes per stack at the end of the second day, but we had to narrow down the basket height to fit within 18x18x18.

The basket was also probably the hardest part and you will be able to see this in the documentary we are going to release soon because we had to switch up the actual design multiple times due to the time, as well as size, constraints.

Other than that, we found that vertical stacking wasn’t as hard (or as much tuning) as we initially thought and encourage all teams to try out this method of stacking during the season.

4 Likes

It could pick up one cube at a time if both stacks were already at least 1 cube high, but we ending up running out of time to make this function well tuned. If we had more time, we would have put a lexan sheet in between the two stacks to make them both work independently but unfortunately, the three days just flew by.

Thanks for the awesome words about the cage though, I’m happy we were able to pull that off! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Cascade lift clap clap

7 Likes