VRC Change Up Community FAQ - Read This Before Posting a Question!

Happy new game day! In an effort to reduce the number of redundant posts over the coming weeks, here is a list of common questions about VRC Change Up.

This post is a wiki! Feel free to edit it to add additional questions or correct any errors!

Q: Where can I read the game manual?

A: The game manual and other important documents can be found on this page. This link will always redirect to the latest version of the game manual.

Q: How big or heavy is [field/game element X]?

A: Appendix A contains detailed, dimensioned drawings of all the field and game elements.

Q: Woah, you can earn an additional WP in auton?

A: Yes, you can earn an additional Win Point (the “Autonomous Win Point”) by Connecting your Home Row during the autonomous period. You do not need to win the autonomous bonus to get this additional WP.

Q: How many balls can I possess at once?

A: There is no limit to the number of your balls you may possess at once. However, per <SG8>, you may only possess three of your opponents’ balls at once.

Q: What can’t I do in the Autonomous Period?

A: Per <SG2> and <SG3>, you may not do the following during autonomous:

• Contact the foam tiles or balls on the opposite side of the autonomous line

• Contact the goals in your opponents’ home zones

• Cause balls that start on your side of the autonomous line to contact the other side of the line.

Note: The consequences of violating some of these rules have changed slightly compared to last season. Be sure to carefully read <SG2> and <SG3> for the full details!

Q: Can I de-score balls scored by my opponents?

A: Yes, descoring is a key component of VRC Change Up. However, per <SG5>, you must descore balls from the bottom of the goals.

Q: Can I score points for my opponents?

A: There are no rules prohibiting this action.

Q: How much do balls weigh?

A: According to Appendix A, the mass of a ball is 168 grams, or about 6 ounces.

Q: Is there an expansion limit?

A: Your robot must begin each match within an 18” cube as usual. However, robot expansion during the match is unlimited.

Q: So I can build a wallbot?

A: Yes, you can build a wallbot. However, per <G12>, you assume the risk of damage to your robot during play if you do this.

Q: Where does my robot begin the match?

A: Robots start the match within their home zones. See <SG1> for full details.

Q: Where’d the colored tiles go?

A: The new anti-static field tiles do not include colored tiles. As such, use of the colored tiles is optional. Page 7 of Appendix A shows the location of the colored tiles if they are used.

Q: How many balls can be scored in each goal?

A: It does not appear physically possible to for more than three balls to meet the definition of Scored in a single goal. Note that a ball must be fully below the upper edge of the goal to meet the definition of Scored.

Q: What is the maximum possible score?

A: The maximum possible score of 70 points can be achieved as follows:

• 16 balls scored in goals: 1pt each

• 8 connected rows: 6pts each

• Autonomous Bonus: 6pts

Q: How have qulification rankings changed this season?

A: There are two changes to the qualification ranking system:

1. You can earn an additional WP by connecting your home row during the autonomous period.

2. Rankings will now be based on average (rather than total) WP, AP, and SP. Since all teams play the same number of qualification matches, this won’t affect the final outcome of the rankings, but will change how the rankings look in the middle of the day when some teams have played more matches than others.

Q: What’s with the new AI competition?

A: The VEX Artificial Intelligence Competition (VAIC) is a new event where teams will build robots to play VRC Change Up fully autonomously. The highlights are:

• Open to High School and College/University students

• VEXU-style robot construction rules:

• Teams build 2 robots, one 15" and one 24"

• No motor limits

• VEXpro, VEX IQ, 3D printed, and custom-machined parts allowed

• Custom-built sensors

• VEX GPS sensor provides absolute field positioning automatically

• Robots communicate with each other via VEXnet

Be sure to read Appendix D for the full details!

Q: Can we use the new GPS sensor in normal VRC play?

A: There do not appear to be any rules prohibiting the use of the GPS sensor in normal VRC or VEXU play. However, there is also no requirement that the “field code” (the black and white strip on the inside of the field perimeter that the GPS sensor looks at) be present in normal VRC/VEXU play.

Q: I have read this entire post and still have a question. What should I do?

A: You should follow the following steps:

1. Read the game manual, as well as any appendices relevant to your question.

2. Read the game manual, as well as any appendices relevant to your question.

3. Perform a search of the game manual for terms relevant to your question. This can be done by pressing Ctrl-f or command-f, or by performing a search in the VRC Hub mobile app.

4. Search the official Q&A and forum for terms relevant to your question.

Most questions will be answered by completing steps 1-4. If after completing these steps you still have a question, do the following:

1. Decide whether you want to ask your question on the forum or the official Q&A. Forum threads get replied to more quickly and result in more discussion, but the official Q&A (where only registered teams and EPs can post questions) is the only source of official, binding rules interpretations. Often, preliminary discussions on the forum lead to official Q&A questions for final rulings.

2. Write out your question as completely and thoroughly as possible. Make sure to quote any rules you’re referencing, draw diagrams to illustrate your question, etc. You might find that you answered your own question just by trying to ask it.

Q: What’s happening to competitions with regard to COVID?
A: See this thread: VRC & VIQC 20-21 - Live Remote Head-to-Head Rules Modifications

If after doing all the above you still have a question, then please feel free to ask it!

24 Likes

Nice - love it!

A couple comments:

In one of the images on page 9, they show 2 balls at the bottom next to each other and 2 above - I guess the top one in the picture isn’t scored because it isn’t below the top level. I wonder if it would be physically possible to have it pushed down below the top and still have those two next to each other count as scored (just pushed further apart)? Since the top one is so close to low enough?

As long as the team makes sure to follow the code of conduct, which includes “Good sportsmanship, which includes supporting your alliance partners”.

:rofl::joy: Maybe that should also be inserted again right after #6 - read it AGAIN before actually posting your official question, just in case… and before commenting on anything… (:wink:).

4 Likes

Q: Can we use the new GPS sensor in normal VRC play?
A: There do not appear to be any rules prohibiting the use of the GPS sensor in normal VRC or VEXU play. However, there is also no requirement that the “field code” (the black and white strip on the inside of the field perimeter that the GPS sensor looks at) be present in normal VRC/VEXU play.

The answer is probably not because they do not sell the GPS sensor and from reading the game manual the only way to get the new sensors is registering an AI team Info Here

Yeah, could be - that’s why I hedged with “It does not appear physically possible”. My guess is that sort of configuration won’t be too stable, and if the bottom two balls were any further apart they’d roll out of the goal altogether. But maybe it would work, we probably won’t know for sure until someone gets ahold of a field kit and tries it out.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.