Weights

I am not sure if someone asked this before but if you use a non vex part as a weight to fix your center of gravity and call it a decoration for your robot would it be legal? I mean every decoration is adding some sort of weight to your robot so technically its serving no purpose

FYI: please post a link if the answer is in the game manual.

1 Like

I would say no. Of course you might get away with it because it’s “nonfunctional.” Really though, anything that heavy is likely to be ruled against by refs.

Just put some metal on it and call it a day.

7 Likes

I mean, it has a function… so it kinda isn’t a nonfunctional decoration.

8 Likes

No, this is not legal

R12 ( c ) is probably the closest I can think of right now

Small cameras are permitted as non-functional decorations, provided that any transmitting
functions or wireless communications are disabled. Unusually large cameras being used as
ballast are not permitted.

Additionally, the general rule of thumb for a non-functional decoration is that the inspector should be able to ask you to remove it and play a match and you should have no issues.

8 Likes

yes but every single decoration has some weight so technically its just a heavy decoration.

1 Like

It’s a matter of if the weight of the decoration is being actively used.

5 Likes

are their any other options for things to use as weights

If you are just adding it for its weight and not as a decoration, then that is illegal. Although you could get away with it(if the decoration does not look like it is heavy), that would be against the spirit of the competition.

Here are some game rules that apply to this:

image image image image image image

3 Likes

Why not just use legal parts as weights?

4 Likes

Last year I used steel to weigh down my robot cause the cog was way off.

Cog=center of gravity

1 Like

Like what ?
20 char.

Be prepared for the Referee to ask you to remove the decoration if it appears to provide a function …

5 Likes

Just use a bunch of metal like a few steel plates or c-channels.

4 Likes

Literally any steel parts work fine, I’ve even seen stacks of hs shafts ziptied to the back of robots

7 Likes

Perhaps weight distribution should be a factor in the robot design.

4 Likes

You design ur robot before building?

my students do. Sometimes they get right, other times wrong - they learn.

NbN lifting other robots was good learning experience.

4 Likes

Steel pieces and high-strength axels will do very well as counterweights.
Source: The trebuchet this kid tried to build a few years back during summer camp.

2 Likes

What about using extra wheels and gears as weights?

They just wouldn’t weigh as much as steel or high-strength axils.

Also high-strength axils can be right next to each other with virtually no air gaps in between for maximum weight, though steel c-channels offer more then enough weight.

3 Likes